Friday 30 September 2011

Yoga and the power of forgiveness

I went back to Yoga yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks and am I glad I did.
If you’ve never tried Yoga, you should try it as it is one of the best meditative states you can get in as your body flows through the motions allowing your mind to be carried in the flow as well. Yoga is not about being the most flexible person in the world. It’s a state of mind, a pull to your centre, an equalizer. I had been avoiding Yoga because I felt so off balance. Now I know that’s the time I need to go because Yoga allows me to empty my mind of all the clutter and focus on what’s important.
Before we started the class, our instructor asked us to set our intention for the class or whatever it is that we wanted to work on. What came to mind for me was forgiveness. I have been carrying guilt about some life choices I am not proud of and had a wish that I could somehow ask those that I have wronged for forgiveness as well as to forgive those who have not treated me well. So I decided to set forgiveness as my intention to allow that emotion to be cleared from my being.
As we flowed through the class with each Sun Salutation and downward facing dog, I could feel my intention being released into the Universe. Once the class finished, I had an overwhelming desire to read the message for the day from the Yogi Master. And the message was all about how much courage is required to seek and give forgiveness. I nearly melted on the spot. Again I was being sent a message from the Universe that I am so in tune with what my body, mind and soul needs for growth and healing if only I would listen.
It takes a lot of courage to forgive someone for something that they have done to us and more importantly it takes a lot of courage to ask for forgiveness for something we have done to others. The effect of doing so is exponential to our beings because forgiveness releases us from negative, oppressive energy replacing it with love, light and radiance.
Thank you Yoga for helping me to see the light and the power of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment