Sunday 18 September 2011

Another lesson from my daughter

My daughter and I were working on her school project where she has to write all about herself. One of the questions was to write a quote about herself and she wrote, “Never give up.”
I was taken aback by this particularly since this was what I wrote about her last night. She used this quote for herself without prompting so this is obviously how she views herself.  She has accepted that she did not get selected for a part in the pantomime and she is totally unfazed by it. She has already learnt from her Dance experience that sometimes life does not work out the way you thought it would but it often leads to a whole new experience that you would never have tried in the first place. Because she did not get into the Dance Camp, she ended up doing the Acting Camp and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I asked her if she was upset about not getting into the pantomime and she said, “No”.
 I asked her how she feels and she said, “Fine, now I’ll be able to do my dance recital. And anyway, when are we going to bake the brownies?”
Out of the mouths of babes. If only we could learn not to dwell on being rejected and just move on to the next thing like baking brownies, wouldn’t we just be great. I told her we could bake them soon so she went to the paper drawer and made herself a chef’s hat by stapling the paper sides together humming like the whole pantomime experience didn’t exist.
To say I am in awe of my child is an understatement. The courage, the spunk, the happy go lucky spirit is all I could ever hope for in my daughter’s development.
So short and sweet today because I’m off to bake brownies with my daughter and who knows what else I may learn from her in the process.
Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment