Friday 23 September 2011

Roadblocks

Have you ever wondered why we have roadblocks in our lives? I do all the time and this morning I was mulling this over after an unexpected roadblock appeared in my life yesterday.
Are roadblocks truly blocking us from what we want or are they meant to direct us to what we truly need?  Are they necessary to steer us away from what we thought we wanted to exactly what we need for that next level of growth in our lives?
Sometimes we have to be saved from our own selves because we often refuse to see what is best for us. Instead we bow to the pressures of society. I believe that’s why we have roadblocks. To make us pause. To force us to ask ourselves if what we are pursuing is really good for us or if we need to take some time to refocus and redirect our journeys. I have come to believe the only way we can do this is if there is something that abruptly blocks our paths redirecting us to where we need to go.
Sometimes we get sidetracked from fulfilling our hopes and dreams because we are living our lives according to how society believes our lives should be led rather than doing what feels good to us. And it is these times that we encounter the largest roadblocks and I truly believe they are sent to force us to take stock of whether we are living the lives we always dreamed we would. And these roadblocks are the hardest to get around because they challenge us to be honest with ourselves – something that can be very difficult to do.
As I look back over my life to the times when I felt I was sinking in quicksand because I felt disappointed, disillusioned and disenfranchised, in order to pull myself out before sinking never to return, I had to face my roadblock head on and change course. And once I did that roadblock would disappear and take me to a place I had not even envisioned for myself before.
So thanks to that roadblock yesterday I realise there are some things in life that I have no control over because they are outside of me but what I do have control over are my decisions and my reactions. I have complete control over me and my attitude and where I want to be and only then will the roadblocks become fewer and fewer because I would be listening to my inner voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment