Thursday 1 September 2011

Attitude is Everything


Just read the column written by Sir John Swan, the first black Premier for Bermuda, one of my mentors, in our daily newspaper , The Royal Gazette.  I got goose bumps because I felt as if he was speaking to me.  I felt as if he was affirming something I always knew but had forgotten– pulling it to my forefront reminding me of the power of positive thinking which translates to a positive attitude
I echo his sentiments totally; people can be whatever they want to be based on their attitudes. Doors open. Life changes. People want to be near them. Why? Because people sense they have a positive attitude because it shines through something so invisible to the naked eye but very visible to our basic instincts - our aura.
What is our aura? According to the free dictionary, aura is “the distinctive atmosphere or quality that seems to surround or be generated by a person, thing or place.”
Our auras are the essences of our beings. It is that which we radiate out into the world without even being aware that we are doing so. It is this that either attracts or repels people or things to or from us. It is our aura that determines whether we will be successful or not.
Therefore even if someone is the most intelligent person in the world but has a lousy attitude, no one will ever truly know of that person’s intelligence because they will not be interested in anything about that person.  And this is why we see so many people that we thought would never succeed in high school succeed as they become adults.  The simple explanation is their attitude.
Book knowledge will only take you so far. Attitude will take you everywhere.
What’s even more interesting is the fact that people who have faced the greatest adversities when they were young and survived, tend to be the ones who have the best attitudes. They know that no matter how dark the day may be, there is always sunshine. It’s just hidden behind the clouds. No matter how blocked the path may be, if they have faith and remain focused the path will clear. They also know that above all else if they have a positive outlook, they will attract positive things into their lives.
I just read the classic, The Little Princess, to my daughter and I would highly recommend this book to anyone who needs to be reminded of the power of a positive attitude.
Attitude can make or break you. I know which one I would rather project even on the worst days. Try it. The outcome may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment