Saturday 10 September 2011

I always dreamed I would be a teacher

I always dreamed I would be a teacher one day because I have always known that I have a lot to say, share and give. Until the day I became a mother and realised just as much as I am here to teach so am I here to learn.
Having children has taught me that I am as much a student as I am the teacher. My children show me my flaws, what I need to work on, and how I can become a better mother which in turn will make me a better person. Sometimes I am surprised by how much I still have to learn about myself, life, and how to treat people.
Children teach you the power of forgiveness. If you were to watch children fighting on the playground one moment then hugging each other the next, it is amazing. No judgements, no attitudes, no grudges. Just having it out with each other then letting the moment pass and moving on. How much we can learn from our children from this simple exchange. If only we learned to let go of arguments because at the end of the day they are usually as a result of one person either hurting or misunderstanding  the expectations of the other, our world would be a much better place. Rather than holding on to a grudge what we should be doing is learning from the argument and moving on from it hopefully to never make the same mistake again. I have learnt this lesson more so from watching my children at play and seeing how easy it is for them to forgive.  My children in this case being my teachers and I their student. But once I take that lesson and make it a part of my everyday life, I once again become the teacher.
It was also watching the Oprah Facebook interview that reminded me of how we are all teachers every day of our lives. Every day what we should be asking ourselves ,as she does, is,  “how can I use my life as a service to myself, my family, and anyone that crosses my path. “ I believe what she means by this is whatever lessons we have learned along the way, it is our responsibility to pass the lesson on to others. Student becoming the teacher becoming the student.
So my dream of being a teaching is happening every day in my life. I may not be the classroom teacher that I imagined I would be but I am a teacher just the same because I do use every day of my life as a learning experience and I try to pass whatever it is that I learn onto my children, my husband and anyone who crosses my path. I also realise that being a teacher means that I am also the student because I do not know all the answers to life’s mysteries but I must always keep myself open, receptive to the messages and lessons that are delivered to me on a daily basis so I can continue to teach and learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment