Wednesday 28 December 2011

The Serenity Prayer


God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; 
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; ...

Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

I woke up with this prayer on my mind because I have so many moving pieces in my life right now that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. And I went to bed last night asking the Universe to guide me to give me the strength and answers to make it through my trials. I woke up this morning with this prayer going through my mind and knew it was a message from my angels so I decided to write my blog today based on this prayer.
This is a prayer that comes to me in times of trouble and I used to have the first half of it on my desk at work because it is something I like to close my eyes and go back to when I feel that all around me is chaos and I need to remind myself to stand still and not get sucked into the chaos.  I wanted to share this prayer with you my readers because there are lots of us going through transitions, having to make major decisions and come to terms with the place we are in our lives right now. For some it is more dramatic and traumatic than others but change is always a challenge and always frightening even when we think it is not.
Trying to navigate through the darkness when the light is dim or dull is tough but as this prayer says we cannot change circumstances outside our control and for those we have to be willing to let them go. However what we can change is the way we react to them and surrender to the lessons we are meant to learn, But more importantly each day we have to wake up with gratitude for another day, for all that we have and live in the present moment. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.
Powerful and life changing words. Life was never meant to be a struggle. It only becomes a struggle when we allow ourselves to believe we have the power to change circumstance and people outside of ourselves and we live in fear of the unknown rather than focusing on the present.  A wonderful reminder to us all. May you find the serenity in your lives.
PS for those of you offended by the word God, substitute whomever or whatever you believe is your Divine for the prayer to resonate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment