Saturday 3 December 2011

Decluttering our lives

Sometimes it’s great to have a good clean out. To get rid of all the junk we have collected over the years. The junk that once meant something to us but no longer does. It’s amazing how freeing it is to purge. It’s also rewarding to find things you have been searching for but could not find and discover that they mean just as much to you now as they did before.
My daughter and I are going through her room today decluttering it because she is a hoarder. We have filled two trash bags already of stuff that she has outgrown or no longer even remembers why she has it. I had to take a break because the room is so turned upside down now that it has become intimidating almost to the point where I wondered why we started this process in the first place. So I decided to walk away and do what I like to do, write – to escape for a moment from the chaos we have created. To come to terms with how I am feeling. To free my mind. And to give my daughter some space so she can decide what’s important to her and what’s not without my interference.
I can hear her in her room going through her stuff. I can see her setting up her horses to make them look like they are in their stable. Redesigning her Barbie house with some of the designs she has picked up from watching her favourite show Design Star. Watching her determination to get to the end of her clean up without being bothered by the piles all around her because she is focused on one task at a time without looking around her to become overwhelmed by the mess we have created. She is even singing as she works. Children are so amazing. Their outlook is so fresh and free even in the midst of chaos.
As I am typing I am getting a clear Aha message and it is that sometimes we have to overlook the piles all around us and focus on one thing at a time because that’s the only way we can declutter our lives. Not becoming overwhelmed by every obstacle that blocks our path but instead focusing on what makes us happy tackling that first enabling us to build our confidence to go to the next task and the next until before we know it we are done – decluttered, focused, and ready to begin anew.
Okay so now that I am feeling inspired again back I go to help my daughter finish her room, one pile at a time until there are no more. And who knows before long I could be singing along with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment