Friday 9 December 2011

The glory in a beautiful sunny day

Yesterday in my Yoga class, the instructor told us that we should put our faces and hands in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day three times a week. When we do so it increases our Vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is important because it helps the body absorb calcium. Calcium and phosphate are two minerals that are essential for normal bone formation. The body makes vitamin D when the skin is directly exposed to the sun. That is why it is often called the "sunshine" vitamin.
Even more interesting is the fact that when I went into Yoga in the morning it was a dark and gloomy day. By the time I came out the sun was shining and there were only wispy white clouds in the sky. The humidity was low making everything look crisp and vivid. There is nothing more beautiful than the colours in Bermuda on a day when the humidity is low.
Based on this wonderful day I decided to take my Yoga teacher’s advice and enjoy the benefits of the sun. So I placed one of my outdoor chairs directly in the line of the sun and there I sat for quite a while absorbing the sun reading my book. I cast aside all feelings of guilt for taking this time to be on my own doing nothing. I just sat and read and thought. And more than feeling the Vitamin D stores growing in my body, I felt a sense of peace rush through me. I closed my eyes and let the colours of the rainbow flash behind my closed lids filling my body with warmth, love and hope.
I realised that not only is the sun necessary for calcium replenishment because very few foods naturally contain vitamin D, I now know it is good for the replenishment of our body, mind and souls. And once again this morning, the sun is shining down on Bermuda so I again stood outside in the direct sunlight and gave thanks for its presence and radiant light. Perhaps you should try it too today to see how quickly your outlook changes. There’s nothing better than the glory in a beautiful and sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment