Tuesday 6 December 2011

Seeing flashes of time through my children

Wow, what a morning! It was my daughter’s Christmas play this morning and she had one of the starring roles. My husband and I were more nervous than she was - worrying if she would forget her lines. But she was a superstar.
From the moment she walked into the assembly hall I could see she had full control over her character. Her stage presence was magical. She was dainty, well spoken and very clear. As I watched my daughter I saw visions of her as a grown woman – confident, independent and self assured and I was both excited and nostalgic at the same time. I saw her growing up in front of me on that stage and I had a huge lump in my throat.
I looked across at my son who is becoming a young man as well, a shadow forming above his top lip soon to be replaced by a moustache watching his sister with pride and I could see it won’t be long before he becomes a young man.
I looked at my husband then and felt a strong sense of love and endurance. I marvelled at what my family has had to endure and how much we have managed to accomplish and I am so grateful for that feeling of family togetherness. I am so grateful that we have chosen to raise our children in the manner we have. I am grateful that we try as much as we can to be there for our children because looking at them this morning I realised they are going to be okay because they know they are loved.
I know in the blink of an eye my son and daughter will be walking away from my husband and I as adults full of stories about our family life, some good, some bad – but at the base of it all – love. I realised that all children really want and need is to feel loved, heard and cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment