Sunday 1 January 2012

2012 The Dawn of a New Me


I woke up very late this morning after a wonderful night out at our friend’s house. Children were at one side of the house and the adults at the other. But when midnight came families came together to wish each other the best and stood in clusters watching the fireworks over the harbour. By that time none of us was a stranger to the other. We had all dropped the veils and wished each other well. And the mood at that house certainly spoke of family and togetherness. Looking from family to family I marvelled at the diversity of people and expectations we all have as individual and as individual families but at the base of all of our existence is the desire to love and be loved.
When I opened my eyes, the sun was already streaming through my windows and I realised with chagrin that I had missed the dawning of the first light of 2012. Unlike the year before when I felt troubled, this year I felt a sense of acceptance for where I am mixed with a sense of fear of the unknown. A sense of knowing it’s time to move to the next chapter of my life. The sense that I am able to embrace the change that is coming my way – knowing that sometimes it will bring me to my knees.
Last night everyone wished each other a Happy New Year and all the best. And there was an incident that really touched my heart and it was when my son suddenly appeared at my side in all his awkwardness and was willing to let go of the fact that it is not cool to hug his mother in public anymore. He looked up at me and said, “Oh, um, Happy New Year. I love you.” Then he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me looking up at me the whole time. At first I was completely knocked off guard by his actions but when I looked into his eyes, I knew it was a big step forward for him. For an instant, I felt like it was he and I against the world.  I hugged him tightly, blinking back the tears and wished him well too.
My husband and I hugged each other and it has been a really tough year for us as a couple but the hug was genuine and heartfelt and it solidified that this year is going to be a year of cementing relationships. Of moving deeper into the next phase of our marriage. Of trying to be there for each other.
My daughter stood solidly between us hugging us both. I felt that my family was going to be okay. A bit bruised from the year but that much stronger because of it. I looked up at the starry night and whispered thank you to the Universe for getting us this far.
As I lay in bed reflecting on the happenings of the night before and thinking about having missed the light coming into the New Year, I realised it was because I didn’t have to see the darkness turning into the light because after the events of 2011 I know out of the darkness emerges the most radiant light when the time is right. I know I needed to just lie in bed with my daughter snuggled tightly in my arms. I know I needed to watch the light flicker with the darkness, the clear skies with the clouds, the stillness of the air with the down pouring of the rain to know that this year will be filled with constant change sometimes within the blink of an eye but if I continue to listen to my inner compass, my inner voice I will be okay no matter what.
Here’s to a new me for 2012 and to a new you as well. Ready for the challenge. Ready to ride the wave. Ready to move to that next level of higher consciousness. Bring it on 2012 I am ready, willing and more than able to remain in your flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment