Monday 30 January 2012

Intersections

Sitting on the Gatwick Express watching the scenery go by just as night is turning into day. Looking around the train at the new faces. Strangers all together on our way to where we need to go. Paths crossing. Unknown destinations for the majority of us. But held together on a common train. In the same direction. To disperse as we need to.
I look around for a friendly face.People are sleeping. Long commutes. I look outside my window. Taking in the new scenery. On a grey Monday morning. The beginning of another work week. Lights are being switched on in houses and businesses as we speed by.
Life is waking up. Long commutes. Tired faces. Looking around I realise just how fortunate I am to live in Bermuda with short commutes. Everything within arms reach. Reminding me how good it is to get out of your every day routines sometimes to realize just how good you have it.
I look out the window again. Barren trees, grey sky. Cool, crisp air. Refreshing actually. Not too cold but I am wrapped up tight. Prepared for the cold. Smiling at the odd evergreen in the midst of the barren trees. Trains passing each other by. People looking in from the other trains. Faces. Distance. Where are they going? What's on their agendas? Weary eyes. Empty stations. Office buildings lit. Everywhere is brown at the moment, brown buildings. No blue ocean. No green trees. No colourful flowers. No sound of birds chirping in the morning. Though a flock of pigeons just flew over the train.
Quiet. So quiet on the train. No one speaks. Some read. Some sleep. Some just stare out the windows. Makes you want to ask them how they are feeling on this grey Monday morning. But they don't look inviting. Faces are closed. Expressions are muted. What a way to spend everyday getting to work. I feel so fortunate to be stealing in and out of their routines. Knowing I have something to look forward to when I go home. Missing the beauty of the day waking. But grateful for seeing another day even if it's not the same. Seeing it from a different perspective. Grateful for landing safely at Gatwick. Grateful for seeing life from a different perspective.
Oh well my time on the train is coming to an end. The buildings have switched from small and brown to tall and glass. Double decker buses are moving to and fro. More people moving about. Hustling to get to work. I feel the tension starting to build even in the faces of those around me. Time to shut down my computer. Time to put on my armour to go out into the masses and prepare to get in the taxi for the next part of my journey.Grateful for it all. Here's to Monday morning in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment