Thursday 29 November 2012

The Storm may never come


“If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the Sunshine.” Morris West
Right now we are being bombarded with so much despair, anger,  destruction and hate. So much lack, distrust, greed and jealousy. So much darkness that it’s difficult to see the light. It’s no wonder so many of us are afraid.  Hiding. Hunkering down waiting for the storm. The avalanche. The end of the world to come.
Reading this quotation today led me to this wonderful and empowering Tiny Buddha site. And I am so grateful for allowing myself to be led. For feeling the sunshine in the words of the quote and following them like the Yellow Brick Road.
Allowing my inner voice to be my guide. Showing my spirit the way out of the storm. Into the light. Allowing me to feel lighter. My load to lessen. My burdens to become not only tolerable but no longer viewed as burdens; but, rather opportunities for me to explore. To grow.
Forcing me to accept when we spend our whole lives waiting for the storm, we lose out on the perfect and beautiful sunshine right before our eyes. When we are so afraid of being destroyed, we forget to live. We forget to harness the joy that is constantly available for us. To us.
Instead we shut down the blinds. Hastily. Afraid to look outside.  Because we’re terrified that sun is not meant for us. Believing we don’t deserve its light. Convincing ourselves at any moment the storm is going to arrive. Snatching the sun from those of us that are less deserving. Those of who trying to claim what isn't ours.
Fear threatening to take us down. Keep us in that place of darkness. Of lack. Trembling with the thought that we may be discovered for who we aren't rather than embracing who we are. Trepidation forcing us to close our eyes to all that we are and can be. Shrouding us in doubt.
I know this story all too well. Because it is my story. Whenever I feel like everything is going too well, I stop. And wait. Wait for the storm to come. Inviting it into my life. Begging for it to come so I can stop being labelled the lucky one.
So I can show people that I am not lucky. I am just as unlucky as they when the storm comes. Sabotaging my own well being  My own chance of abundance. My own chance to grow. Sacrificing myself to make others feel more worthy. Lessening myself so I will not be vilified.
But when I read the quote about waiting for storms, something happened to me. Something forced me out of the darkness and allowed me to not only open my eyes to the outdoors. That place outside the confines of my walls. But to see just how much the day had changed from the perception of the day I had in my mind.
I was surprised by how bright the sun had become. Surprised by how crystal clear everything was outside. How the day had moved from one that was overcast, full of gloom and rain to one that is full of sunshine and light.
And I realized right before my eyes the Universe was sending me a message – a message that even when the storm is predicted to come, it may not come but if we are so bogged down waiting for the storm, we may not notice the storm changed its mind and instead decided to pass us by. Leaving space for the sunshine - the light to enter our lives.
Allowing our hearts to open. Giving us the opportunity to breathe. To see and feel its warmth. To understand waiting for the storm blinds us from the light, the opportunities right before our eyes, the abundance so readily available to us. The joy unbounded.
Feeling a sense of freshness following through my being as I embraced the knowledge that the only storm I can control is the one that rages inside of me. Not the storm sent from Mother Nature. Laughing lightly as I decided to fling open the windows and allow the sunshine in.
Declaring positively to myself, I am no longer interested in wasting precious time waiting for something I can’t control. The storm that may never come. And neither can I live my life afraid of how others may perceive me. No longer lessening myself to be accepted by those who choose lack over abundance. No I am embracing that light and enjoying every bit of that sunshine because I finally know I deserve it. Particularly knowing the storm may never come.

2 comments:

  1. Anxiety is an amazing thing that a lot of us wrestle with...waiting for the other shoe to stop. The idea of control is a fantasy that we best let go, or drive ourselves crazy.

    Thank you for this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and affirmation of my thoughts. I agree we have to learn to let go.

      Delete