Monday 12 November 2012

Dreams and the Ocean


Yesterday morning I woke up with sunshine streaming through my blinds. Calling my name. Lulling me out of sleep. Inviting me outside. Like the voice of angels, the sound of the morning stirred my soul. Beckoning my spirit to go outside and merge with my nature kindred spirits.
I tried to ignore the call. Pulling the covers back over my head. Telling myself I was more than comfortable where I was. But the light refused to go away. Refused to be shut out by the darkness under my covers. So I got up and went into the bathroom. Pulled up the shades and was pleased to see heavy clouds coming in from the North. Signaling to me it was going to rain. And black girls like me don’t go out in the rain unless we really have to. Can’t afford to get our hair wet. So I left the window and started doing other things around the house.
Both the nature spirits were not ready to let me be. Not content for me to stay inside when they were putting on their best show for me outside. The voice of angels filling my head again. Whispering promises of endless joy outside of the confines of my home. Filling me with abundance and appreciation. Filling me with pleasure. So I gave in. Put on my walking clothes and shoes and went out into the abundance of the outdoors.
I walked through my tree line street feeling the freshness of the breeze. Listening to the whistling of the wind through the trees. Letting my thoughts wander as I looked up at the cloudless blue sky. The heaviness of the dark clouds long gone. Like they had never even been there. Filling my lungs with the purity of the air. Feeling gratitude rising from my toes to my head and beyond. Mingling with that place of infinity. That place where all that is Divine resides and gives back.
And then I walked along the beach. Listening to the sound of the ocean. Watching its waves gently rolling in and out on the sand. Playing games with my feet. Showing me that it could take me at any time if it wanted but letting me enjoy its motion.
I looked out over the horizon. That same horizon I used to look out over as a little girl wondering what people outside of my sight were like. When I questioned whether they were just like me. When I had big dreams to cross that ocean to experience the experiences of others. When I dreamed I would one day be more than the little girl who had been confined to an Island. When I knew without a doubt that the world was much bigger than my little 21 square mile home and I wanted to be a part of that big world.
I looked out over that horizon as a fully grown woman with the realization that I have crossed that ocean more times than I can count. Realizing the people I meet no matter from whence they come are just the same as I am. With the same hopes and dreams. With the same worries and fears. With the same underlying desire to be loved and to give love.
And I realized the ocean has always been telling me there is so much out there to be explored. So many people to meet and see. So many experiences to be had. Dreams to be dreamt and realized. Letting me know, I have realized many of my dreams.  Willing me to not stop dreaming. To keep seeing there is more beyond the confines of our vision. Much more.
Inhaling and exhaling the salty air, I walked slowly on knowing the ocean has always given me the strength and power to understand dreams are portals into my soul’s desires. Reminding me when I give my dreams all the intention and attention they deserve, no amount of ocean will ever stop me from achieving them because like the ocean rolling in and out, so are my dreams. The rhythm of life. Waves coming and going.  Dreams realized and not.
There for the making and the taking, my dreams. And for the voice of angels, the serenity of the ocean, the abundance in my life, and for my morning walk, I know I am not limited by what I see. I am only limited by what I don’t want to see. And for this lesson from nature, I am truly grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment