Thursday 30 August 2012

The pendulum does swing


With the economy as it is, some people are more worried about what tomorrow will bring. Some are projecting about things they have no control over. Listening to the voice of fear and negativity. Allowing it to pull them into its deep black hole.
While there are others who are insulated from the effects of the economy and have no reason to fear. Have no reason to curb their spending and as a matter of fact they don’t even realise there are many suffering around them. Those who have no clue that there are many without jobs, homes, or hope.
Then there are those that are somewhere in between who feel they are safe. Who feel they will get by. Because they have faith, hope and trust. Because they believe no matter where life may lead them, that is where they are meant to be. They recognise that everything that comes into their lives is there to teach them a lesson and they focus on the lesson rather than on the negative.
Yesterday someone very dear to me came to me in tears because someone pulled the rug out from under her by filling her head with fear. Painting a picture of doom and gloom of what my friend’s future was going to look like. While at the same time expressing how well her life was and how she had nothing to worry about. Hearing that story made me cringe. Seeing the pain in the eyes of my friend who is more vulnerable to the swings of the economy than most filled me with pain as well.
I hugged her, looked her in the eyes and reassured her that no one can predict the future. No position in this cold world we live in, where the dollar is more important than values, is safe. Regardless of how well thought of we may be. I learnt that in a very public and humbling way just a few years ago when I lost my job.  Never believing before finding myself thrust out on the sidewalk that I would ever be in that position. Shocked and afraid when I did. So I take nothing for granted. Instead I have learnt to be grateful for everything that comes into my life. And I also have learnt empathy and compassion go a long way because the pendulum does swing.
We need to remember that at some point in our lives we will be one of those people I described above – the person who is worried about tomorrow, the person who is insulated from the effects of the economy and the person in between. So at all times we need to remain empathetic and sensitive to the plight of those around us because we will be in their position and experience their feelings at some point in our lives. Remembering  the pendulum always swings – balancing us and keeping us grounded.
Masking our own fears by transferring them to others is a means of inviting in more fear. Of creating bad karma for ourselves.  In this fragile economy, broken by our own greed, we would be better off holding each other up rather than tearing each other down. Remembering always - the pendulum does swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment