Monday 6 August 2012

A lesson to never take anything or anyone for granted


Yesterday was one of those days where all my family did was hurry up and wait. Instead of being in the moment, I kept projecting to the time my son and husband would be home from their boys’ trip, only to have to keep waiting.
They got to the Newark airport in plenty of time, so they thought, only to have the airport shut down on them due to an apparent security breach. So they were stuck in the security line for about 4 hours. Nothing or no one was moving. No airplanes were taking off or landing. Stuck. Waiting.
I called the airlines to see what was going on but they could not give me any details. So all we could do was sit and wait. My daughter had to go to her orientation for a dance camp she will be doing for the next 3 weeks. We had plenty of time after to get the last minute things she needed rather than rushing if my boys were coming home on time. So there was a silver lining after all.
She wanted to eat but I told her we could not go to a restaurant because I wanted the four of us to go to a restaurant together – thinking my boys would be home in time for an early dinner. Elated because my husband had sent me a text to say they were on the airplane – separated but on the airplane nonetheless.
And then as I sat on our porch looking out at all the beautiful light coming through the trees, my phone buzzed and my heart dropped because I knew it was my husband. And sure enough all of the romance went out of the moment I was enjoying because my husband’s text read, “Fire Alarm, we were halfway down the runway when the plane came to a sudden stop. They are fire trucks on the way.”
My heart nearly stopped then. All I could think about was the fact that my son and my husband were separated and I prayed that nothing untoward was happening. That it was just an alarm. I could imagine the angst they were both feeling – neither likes to fly – but do it because that’s the only way we get out of Bermuda.
I sat anxiously waiting for an update. My husband saying it was just a false alarm but they were heading back to the terminal as a precaution to change airplanes. And back to more hurrying up and waiting. Thinking of how much I wanted my boys home safely. Us back as a family. Events like these make me realise just how much I take for granted. Just how much I expect everything to go like clockwork always. And the shock I feel when it does not.
They then had to transfer to another part of the airport and wait for another airplane to come in. Frustration mounting for them. Finally the plane arrived and they boarded only to be told that the crew had been on for too long and they might have to get off the airplane so they sat and waited some more. Then my husband texted me to tell me there was extreme weather approaching the airport and they had 15 minutes to take off or they would be stuck. If I didn’t hear from him in 15 minutes then they had made it. Fifteen minutes came and went; I was relieved when I didn’t hear from them thinking they were on their way. It was 8.41 Bermuda time. They had been in the airport for nearly 12 hours. I went to shower only to come back to a flashing light on my cell phone. My heart dropped. They got so far but not far enough so they had to sit through the weather.
I gave up thinking they were not going to make it back that night. But I asked St. Anthony, Patron Saint of Miracles, to help them to get back safely that night. I went to bed at 11.00. A few minutes later my phone vibrated. A message from my husband to say they were finally in Bermuda. Relief flooded through me. I fell asleep and then in they came at 11.57. They made it before the night was out. They were finally home. A day of hurrying up and waiting for all of us. But finally we were reunited. Not in the way I expected. My daughter and I asleep. My husband coming through the combination lock in the bedroom because I forgot he left his front door keys at home. Frightening me out of my sleep. But a welcome fright. The waiting was over finally.
A simple routine of flying back home turned into an epic day of one misfortune after another. But with faith, prayer and a positive outlook my boys made it home. Telling me that we should never take anything for granted because it can change in an instant. We always need to tell our loved ones we love them. We need to go for it and not wait because we can never predict the future. I had the best intentions of eating with my whole family once we were reunited but in the end my daughter ending up eating spaghetti out of a can but she was a trooper. Letting me know we need to stay in the moment at all times because we have no control over what happens outside of our space.
A happy ending for us despite the mishaps and to the Universe I am truly grateful..

No comments:

Post a Comment