Monday 27 August 2012

A Treat Unexpected


On the urging of my great nephew to my son, I took my son and daughter to see a local production at Ruth Seaton James Hall called, “Once on This Island”. I did so because my great nephew was in the play and he and my son had connected at camp my son was attending and my great nephew was helping to run. They hit it off and he encouraged my son to come to see him in the play.
I went with the thought that the play was going to be pretty amateur and even took my time getting there. Not worrying in the slightest if we were late. We got there just in time for the production to begin. And from the moment the play started to the moment it ended, I was enthralled. My son was surprised. My daughter was on the edge of her seat.
The singing was out of this world. The set designs were unbelievable. The costumes perfect. The acting superb. And the energy from both the cast and the audience was electric. The production rivaled anything I had seen on Broadway. I could not believe how professional everyone was and how wonderful and smooth the play had run. It ran for ninety minutes straight without an intermission and at the end of it I was exhausted from the adrenaline and excitement of seeing young Bermudians performing to Broadway standard. I was so proud of everyone in that play. Seeing the potential of those young people gave me hope for the future of my Island home.

I knew we were in for a treat after just the opening scene when my son turned to me and said, “Mommy that was really good.” All I could do was nod my head because I was enraptured. My daughter not even daring to speak in case she missed something. Her eyes glued to the stage. And there we remained until the final curtain call. Standing immediately once it was done to give those wonderful actors a well-deserved standing ovation.

 I sat down after the standing ovation and looked at my son and daughter pleased that I had taken the time to give them the experience of seeing their fellow young Bermudians performing so well and professionally. I looked at their grateful expressions and realized I had just witnessed an incredible lesson. And that lesson was that sometimes we are so busy looking outside for what is right in front of us. Sometimes we don’t believe our own are capable until they perform beyond our expectations. Sometimes we don’t think we’re good enough until we see just how great we really can be. Those young Bermudians  proved it to me and my family and blew us away. Wow.

To say I am proud to be Bermudian after seeing the level of performance of my fellow young Bermudians in “Once on This Island” is an understatement. And I am so glad I listened to my son and went. It was a treat unexpected. A few lessons learned for my children and me. But most of all it was a great event for my children, as young Bermudians, to see just what they are capable of if they believe they can achieve and if they work hard enough to deliver.

It’s too bad “Once on This Island” is over because my advice would have been for everyone I know to go to support Troika, the production company whose motto is “Keeping the Drama on Stage”  and their first musical production because it was beyond anything I ever expected. Way beyond. Bravo. We will definitely be there for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment