Friday 24 August 2012

Love is why paths cross and intertwine


Yesterday I sat in a funeral feeling like I was having an out of body experience. Feeling like I was on the outside looking in. Not really a part of the service but a part of something else that was going on beyond my control. It was like I was floating. Feeling everyone’s energy.  Thinking about how so many lives could be touched by one person yet are so completely different.
How paths cross and intersect then become parallel for many years only to intertwine again. I looked around at the people in the church and thought about how people from the same family can be so completely and utterly different from each other. With different dreams and aspirations but can come from the same parent or same genealogy. How people from the same neighbourhoods who grew up in the same outward environment can have a completely different experience in life. Some go down a path of destruction and darkness. Others live mediocre lives. And then there are some who go on to exceed expectations all around.
Making me wonder if we are preprogrammed before we even get here. Making me wonder if it is true that we choose the destiny we are currently playing out. Making me wonder if we do have the freedom of choice to become whomever or whatever we desire or if we are who we are when we are born.  
And then the lingering thought of how can we be so different but at the same time be so connected would not leave me.  Forcing me to question whether we are that much different from each other. Or if we are truly the same at the end of the day. Only with different life lessons to learn.
All of us were drawn to the funeral yesterday for the same reason to pay respects to a person who had lost his life. A person we had once loved or still loved. Paths crossing for a short time probably never to cross again in most cases. Yet our energies mixed yesterday, shared a common bond. Leaving me to question why that happens and for what purpose. Leaving me to wonder if when we are in gatherings such as those do we take a piece of each other’s spirits with us?
And then the service and the burial were over and we all went our separate ways. Back to our lives. And I came home later that evening and opened the newspaper and looked at my cousin’s photo for the last time. Staring at him wondering what his life was all about and why people of all different walks of life had come together yesterday to bid him adieu and what we were meant to take from him.
I closed the newspaper thinking there will be no more pictures of him in the newspaper from the next day forward. The only pictures and memories of him will be held by his family and close friends but his physical being is gone forever. Making me realise it is up to all of us to leave behind memories we want people to cherish. To make a difference in someone’s life including our own because once we leave this physical plane there is nothing but memories left off us. Making me realise it is important for us to think of how we want to be remembered. But most of all I felt a strong feeling that we are here to love and be loved.
Realising paths cross and intertwine then become parallel all through life but where there is love or once was love, always those paths reconnect at some point regardless of how different lives may turn out. At the base of it all, all there is, is love. Not our standing in life. Not who or what we became. All that matters is that we loved and we were loved. Because only love can bring together people of all different walks of life. Can cause paths to reconnect and intertwine. Only love.

No comments:

Post a Comment