Sunday 25 March 2012

Surrendering to the unexpected


Yesterday morning I woke up to a morning more beautiful than I was expecting. The weather forecast was totally wrong.
There was no sign of the gale force winds and the unsettled weather that had been predicted. Instead I stood at my bedroom door looking out as the night turned into day. Watching the Norfolk Pine tree standing tall in the morning. Its silhouette heightened by the dusk.
Searching for any signs of bad weather, I could see nothing but calm. I felt a sense of peace that was shrouded with anticipation for the weather that I still thought would come. I dressed casually in a track suit to ready myself in case the weather changed. Still not believing what I saw right in front of my face. Clear skies, gentle breeze and calmness. I still expected the weather to change. It never did.
As a matter of fact as the day progressed it only got better instead of worse. The sun came out in full blast. Smiles came back onto the faces of those who had readied themselves for the weather change. Relief came back into our eyes. I dropped my son off for a fun filled birthday celebration for one of his friends. Watching the excitement on their faces because the weather had cooperated with them to long board and swim and hang out.
Took my daughter to her cousin’s house to hang out with her. So they could swim, watch movies and do girl things. My husband and I having an unexpected afternoon and evening all to ourselves. No demands from children. Everyone off doing things fun for themselves. My husband saying wow, I feel like we are adults again. The two of us having quality time together. Thinking about how quickly our children are growing up and becoming more and more independent. Happy to be off doing their own thing. Remembering that my husband and I have to make sure we take time to be with each other so that when the day comes when we are empty nesters, we still have a connection outside of our children.
Getting dressed later to go out to dinner with friends. And we were so relaxed because we didn’t have to rush back for a baby sitter. So we sat and chatted with our friends for hours. Debating about everything that etiquette says should not be topics of dinner conversations - religion, politics, race, and world affairs to name a few. The atmosphere was rife with tension, disagreement, camaraderie and very spirited. All against the backdrop of eating good food. Drinking great wine. Relaxed. No hurrying.
Yesterday was a day of unexpected treasures and gifts from the Universe for my family. Allowing us to bask in all that we have to be grateful for from the unexpected beautiful weather, to unexpected time alone for my husband and I, to unexpected sleepovers for both my children. Reminding me times like these are gifts. And we just have to learn to surrender to that which is unexpected because we never know where or when they will come from again. In gratitude for a day of surrender and abandon. For being in the moment. For treasuring what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment