Friday 16 March 2012

A day full of love


Yesterday was a day for of love. A day of celebration for my son turning 13. A day when my family’s hearts were open to the Universe allowing unobstructed love to guide us through the day.
It began with me getting up extra early to prepare my son the chocolate chip pancakes and vegetarian sausages he wanted for breakfast. Only to have my eight year old daughter up with me so excited about her brother’s 13th birthday as if it were her own. Excited about the card she had made for her brother with love. The banner she had made. She couldn’t wait for his day to begin.
Our household waking up wishing our boy man a happy birthday. Watching as he read his cards and opened his gifts. Having a family hug. The birthday wishes from friends and family near and far. Leaving home with our hearts full of joy. Driving into to school and work and hearing the Captain from Mix 106 making a fuss over my son while reading out our birthday request for him. Listening to his favourite song, Paradise by Coldplay played on the radio just for him. Looking back in the mirror to see him swelling with pride. Feeling special exactly what we wanted for him as he starts his teenage years. Warming my heart watching him feeling loved and special.
Ending with a family dinner where I read my son the blog I had written in his honour. Seeing his chest  swell some more. Him thanking me for making his day special. Portofino Restaurant making a fuss over him singing him happy birthday and bringing over a complementary dessert. Ending my son’s 13th birthday on a high.
As he went to sleep last night, he gave me an extra hug. Thanked me for helping him to have a really great day. Those are the moments I want to hold onto forever. Cherish. Not let go. I know my son is making his journey away from me every single day now. His teenage years reminding me of how much closer he is to leaving than staying.
Thirteen the age my life changed forever when my mother died only one month after my thirteenth birthday. Leaving me alone. Afraid. Feeling guilty. A girl woman. With no hope or dreams. I didn’t want that feeling for my son. It was important for me to make his day special because I want him to remember his thirteenth birthday as a birthday of love so no matter what happens now he will know he is loved. He is special. And hope and pray he does not experience the devastating tragedy I did when I was his age. But if he does he will know in his heart the depth of my love for him. And the depth of the love of his dad and sister. That he is special.
Yesterday was a day full of love, family and togetherness. The perfect way for my son to enter his imperfect teenage years full of love, wonder and peace. And knowing he is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment