Tuesday 27 August 2013

We humans are strange creatures

The weather has been very bizarre for Bermuda. It is August and it is supposed to be sunny and hot. But the months and seasons seem to be confused. It feels more like April or May and Spring rather than August and summer. We have had so much rain it is unbelievable. My grass is almost up to my knees because of the abundance of rain.
The days are already growing shorter. The light giving way to the darkness earlier and earlier each night. And resisting waking up til later each morning. Feeling more and more like Autumn is taking over and summer is almost gone.
Where has the summer gone? Where has time gone? Where is the summer sun? Scorching us letting us know it is at its end? That’s what we come to expect in August. The desire to say be gone heat. We’re ready for you coolness. But for some reason it is not there for us this year. We get pockets of it where the heat is so intense we wish it would rain. And then when it rains we wish for the sun.
We humans are strange creatures always lamenting about what we don’t have. Wishing for what’s not there rather than appreciating what is there. Taking me to a conversation I had last night with my daughter and niece about hair. About how we are never appreciative of the hair we have. My daughter wishing she could have an afro. Her hair, too curly too mixed to ever for an afro. Me telling her if I had hair like hers I would never complain. My niece telling me I would complain because we always want what we can’t have.
So true. So true. We focus so much on the faults sometimes that we don’t see the abundance and beauty we have right in front of us. That we are always given what we need rather than what we want. Always given what we can truly handle not what we think we can. Always given what we honestly and truly ask for deep down in our souls.
I am looking out the window at the red sky. At the red puffy clouds as the morning light is slowly but surely taking over from the dark night. And I know for a fact based on those clouds that we will have some more rain, possibly some more thunder and more unseasonal weather than seasonal. But now I will adjust my thinking to be grateful rather than resentful for whatever weather we may get because it means I am here to see it. Living and breathing. Experiencing yet another moment of life. Ready for another day.
And if nothing else, that is more than enough to be grateful for. Waking up and seeing this dawning of a new day even if I wish I could change my hair as does my daughter as do most of us, at least we have hair. Think of all those who do not for various reasons.

To be grateful for every single thing in our lives allows us to open to the more, to the abundance that is freely available for us. So despite the strange August weather, my hair not cooperating, and all the other things I could complain about, I am grateful to be here and that is worth more than any of my small laments. My small complaints. Life truly is wonderful and abundant. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment