Tuesday 13 August 2013

Magnificent bridges

Bridges are in my opinion one of the best inventions of mankind. They allow us to get to places much quicker than if they were not there. They allow us access to places we would never be able to get to if they were not there. Bridges span places connecting that which would not otherwise be connected and that’s why I love them. They invoke in me feelings of spanning space and time. Of how we are connected more than we realise. That bridges are just the physical manifestation of the spiritual connection we have all the time spiritually.
We spent our last night up north in the Hilton Gateshead and what an absolute treat it was for us. We had a priceless view of the bridges that span from the Gateshead side to the Newcastle side. Bridging the gap between the two cities in the Northeast and these bridges are magnificent. From the modern Millennium or Winking Eye Bridge to the High Level Bridge built in 1849. These bridges show the meteorite leap in technology and ability of mankind just in their design. But they also show though the design has changed from clunky to sleek their function is still the same. To connect places that would not otherwise be connected.
We sat and watched the day turn to night. The bridges from their daytime simplicity to their night time glory adorned with lights. We watched and I snapped pictures trying to capture the magic of the bridges and though I attach the photos for all to see, I was able to capture the true essence and wonder of these bridge spanning the River Tyne connecting Gateshead with Newcastle. Silhouetted against the cloudy sky. Reflecting against the murky river Tyne.
Watching the trains crossing in the background. Buses








and cars racing over the numerous bridges. People walking. Taking for granted the modern miracle they cross every single day. Not even thinking about what went into the bridges that allow them to get to destinations with ease they would not have been able to do so before.
Thinking as the Millennium Bridge changed colours of how much I love bridges both metaphorically and physically because I know without them there would be so much more that would be considered foreign than what truly is. Bridges allow us to get to places, meet people and experience different cultures we would not have if they did not exist. And that’s why I love them. Love the way they look and what they represent. For they are always bridging the gap between what is known and what is not until they all become so familiar we forget the bridge that brought us together.

Which brings me to my thought of the day which states, “Every bridge I cross brings me closer to a higher level of fulfilment.” And to my daughter’s now favourite expression taught to her by one of her school teachers when something is not what it is expected, “Build a bridge and get over it.” Looking at those magnificent bridges reminded me of all the trials I have endured. All the bridges I have had to cross to get to the other side and once I have I have felt much better about the place I am in and that’s why I believe bridges are some of the most magnificent inventions of mankind because they physically represent what we endure to get to where we are and who we are meant to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment