Friday 9 August 2013

A fantastical day in Oxford

Yesterday was one of those picture perfect family days when everything fell into place without plan. Without expectation. Because we allowed ourselves to go with the flow. We allowed ourselves to surrender to the moment we were in and followed where that moment took us.
We are on holiday in Oxford England. And though it is really strange that it is just the three of us, my husband, daughter and me, we have learnt to adjust as our son enjoys his last week in his summer programme.
Deciding what to do with a ten year old girl to keep her entertained can be taxing sometimes because our interests can vary so yesterday rather than trying to decide, we just did. The weather has been glorious for us here almost as if England is trying to entice us. Trying to let us see all of her beauty and glory under the guise of perfect weather.  England is a beautiful place. It just has lousy weather but this week we have had very little rain and the temperature has been lovely. Not too cold and not too hot.
We have been doing a lot of walking. Discovering the canal right behind our accommodations and walking along it seeing all of the barges and very happy and relaxed people taking us back to last year when we were on the Sancerre on the River Thames. My husband longing to be back on the water. So much so that we even investigated whether we could rent a barge for the day but discovered much to our chagrin that we could not. Too much prep work said the barge owner for just a one day rental.
So yesterday we just wandered and ended up in the Botanical Gardens which turned into a magical experience. We saw the black pine tree that Tolkien loved to sit under and legend has it that it was this tree that inspired him to write Lord of the Rings. I stood in front of that tree and felt its powerful energy flow through me. Tingles running up and down my spine. Asking Tolkien and those who came before him through the spirit of the tree to give me the courage to write what I am meant to write. To put my writing out there even if it “fails”. To accept that sometimes what is defined as failure is actually victory because the failure come in the not doing rather than in trying and not succeeding. To allow me the strength to accept the judgement of those who will read my work and not like it. To accept I will not please everyone at all times. And as I was allowing my thoughts to flow into the tree, I could feel tears stinging the corners of my eyes because I knew I was surrendering all to the ancestors who had gone before by invoking the spirit and creative side of Tolkien through the vast and steadfast roots of the magnificent black pine.
Walking through the Gardens we were blessed with sunshine, large bumble bees, views to die for,





strawberries that tasted like candy, and an array of colours of flowers that looked like something out of a fantasy novel. I felt such inspiration and joy in that garden that whatever troubles I may have felt evaporated in that instant because I knew in the grand scheme of things they were insignificant compared to what life does every single day to survive. Compared to the joys and wonders that are free in life.
Walking through the medicinal section of the Gardens and seeing the natural remedies for everything. The plants used for treatment of malaria, for the treatment of cancer, for the treatment of irritated bowels and understanding that nature takes care of it all when we allow it to. When we surrender to the natural way of living rather than forcing what is not meant to be. The cure is often right there in front of us if we were to just stop and smell the roses. To stop and listen to our inner core. To hear what we are meant to hear.
And then after we finished in the magical garden, we walked across the street to the dock and rented a punt and we punted down the Cherwell River. Like a family out of the romantic era. My husband standing at the stern guiding us with his stick. My daughter at the bow with her paddle feeding the ducks as we punted down the river. Taking in the picturesque scenery as we silently moved down the river. Families picnicking on the riverbanks. Couples holding hands and walking the path. Children squealing and chasing each other. Trees rustling in the breeze. Me lying in the middle of the punt like a queen taking in all of the scenery on either side of us. Feeling do blessed. So free. So indulgent. So grateful.

And then we finished our day last night with a wonderful family dinner. Chatting about the day. Just being in each other’s company at our local restaurant, The Rickety Press. Going to bed last night feeling so grateful for all the blessings in my life. For all that I am and my family. For a wonderful day in the out of doors reminding me about the pleasures and treasures of existing and being. For going with the flow and surrendering to the winds of fate. Allowing them to take us where we were meant to be with gratitude and faith. And for the splendours of yesterday I am truly grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment