Wednesday 14 August 2013

Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet home. There is nothing like home. Yet we don’t realize it until we are away from it and then return.
We have been away from home for nearly three weeks and when we returned last night my whole being felt settled. Like it was centred again. Focused again.
The journey home was long and at times felt impossible but the Universe was on our side helping us to wait through the 4 hour delay in our flight departure then making the journey back as smooth as it could possibly be. Our children keeping themselves entertained while we waited and waited in the Gatwick lounge watching our departure time get pushed back further and further. With despair. Knowing there was nothing we could do but wait.
Each of us hoping and wishing that we would make it out of the airport that day and safely reach home. Though we each enjoyed our time away and each of us got something a little more out of our lives than before we left, each of us was craving our own routines. Our own lives. Our own familiarity. And to finally get it at about 11.30 last night was pure and unbounded joy.
When the flight landed and we got all of our bags, there was a taxi large enough to take all of our bags waiting just for us. As we drove along the Causeway, I exhaled deeply when I saw the quarter moon sitting in the otherwise dark sky almost as if I could touch it. Feeling like it was welcoming me, us back home. The sound of the tree frogs like a raucous welcoming band loud above everything else. A sound normally in the background suddenly in the forefront because we had not heard the sound for nearly three weeks. The feeling of the humidity moisturizing my skin. My hair immediately going limp as my daughter’s and son’s curled up. Feeling the familiar of home that I take for granted when I am here every single day filled me with such gratitude and wonder. Such awe at how life unfolds every single day with little to do with me. With us.
When we arrived at our house, our home, the heaviness of the bags suddenly seemed lighter as we pulled them one last time up the stairs and into our home, the smell of Bermuda letting us know we were back. Looking up at the sky and seeing the constellation of stars I am used to seeing at night making me feel grounded and safe and happy to be back home. Whispering thank you to the Universe for allowing us to safely return.

Leaving me to believe and think as Dorothy did when she clicked her heels, “There’s no place like home. No place like home.” And hearing the old clique, “Home is where the heart is.” And for now this is where my heart lies. Right here. Right now. With gratitude for the wonderful journey my family took to England. Gratitude for our growth and togetherness. Our bickering and spats. Our similarities and differences. And now for our home together. The place we have built together. Body. Mind and Spirit. For better or for worse. Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment