Thursday 29 August 2013

Living our dreams

Yesterday, August 28, 2013 marked the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s historical, “I have a dream” speech. Fifty years have gone by. Fifty years ago I was 4months old when this speech was being delivered by a man who left his mark in our hearts, his speech on the tip of our tongues, his voice ringing in our ears. Even in his death, we still hear him. See him. Feel him. Those of us who have invited him into our hearts and spirits. Letting us know even in death, our names can be spoken, our image can be carried on when we leave an indelible mark on this world.
Though Dr. King may not have known it on the surface, he seemed to know from a deeper level he only had a short amount of time to leave his mark. To leave behind his message for the rest of us to finish the work he started. To bridge the gap between those who are ignorant and those who are tolerant. Between what is right and what is wrong. Allowing all of us regardless of where we come from to accept and understand when we peel back our skin, we are all the same. We are all of the same Source. And therefore we have nothing to fear of each other unless we fear ourselves.
Hearing his rich voice full of passion, full of promise, full of truth caused me to pause yesterday. To think about what having a dream is all about. To reflect on what dreams really mean. And this is what came to me,
“My dream is my dream. Your dream is your dream.
Because I have a dream does not mean you cannot have one as well
Dreams allow us glimpses into the portal from whence we came
Asking us to go back to why we came in the first place
Reminding us to live out our promise
Our truths”
I hear my children talking about their dreams. Talking about what they want to be. How they want to get there and I try my best to help them, guide them but not direct them because they are just starting to understand the importance of acting on their dreams. If I’m constantly telling them their dreams are not good enough or not what I expected of them, they will never know who they are or whether their dreams are truly meant for them. It is not up to me to shatter their dreams. It is up to me to help them to turn their dreams into reality whether they are contrary to what my dream of them is. Their dreams are their own as are mine.
When we become parents we understand, through the eyes of our children, just how important it is to dream and to have dreams. To allow them to flourish and grow into reality because dreams are what take us to the next step of our lives. It is up to us as parents to encourage our children to live out their dreams rather than forcing them to live within their dreams never fully reaching their potential. Allowing them to explore their dreams gives them wings. Give them independence. Confidence and a sense of self.
Thank you Dr. King for reminding me the importance of living our dreams and not just dreaming them. For the important role you played in helping me to understand life is very short so if we have dreams we need to act on them. Make our dreams our reality not just our fantasy. And when we do, so shall our children. So shall we all.


No comments:

Post a Comment