Monday 28 January 2013

Laughter food for the soul


I woke up this morning feeling very content. Feeling like I had slept for a long time. Feeling like I had beaten my alarm but at the same time knowing I hadn't because something did not feel right. Yet I lay in bed ignoring that voice telling me to check the time. I felt too warm. Too snug. After another 5 minutes of trying to quiet the voice. It persisted and got louder so I sat up and looked at the time. My heart nearly stopped. I had overslept by nearly one hour!
Oh no I thought what am I going to do. All of my joy of feeling snug left me then. My mind started racing. But still I did not get up. Justifying the lapsed time because I am not going to work today but I still have to take the children to school. Still have to mediate and write my blog so what do I do. Yet still my body was glued to the bed. I thought I am here because I am meant to be but the voice said but if you don’t get up now you’ll regret not writing your blog or meditating. Your day will start off in the wrong way. After all it is Monday.
So I relented. Listened to the voice and got up. Angry that my morning had started wrong. Trying to decide whether to write my blog first or meditate first. Meditate the voice said. And because I had ignored it earlier, I decided to listen to it so I meditated and my meditation was all about laughter and how it can shift our energy. I was encouraged to laugh as hard as I could as loud as I could.
At first I was angry that this was my meditation. I wanted something more profound than a stupid meditation about laughter. Listen, the voice said. Don’t close your mind to this meditation. So I gave in again.  I didn't laugh out loud as hard as I could because I didn't want to wake the house. And I wasn't too sure about this weird laughter meditation.
Everyone else on the meditation was laughing and they were laughing from deep down in their soul. And before I knew it, I was joining in. I laughed and laughed and laughed and soon my whole body, mind and spirit felt warm again. Full of energy. Full of love. Full of light and full of possibility. All obstacles gave way to pure and unadulterated joy. I knew the Universe was sending me a message to not take myself or my circumstances too seriously but rather to laugh sometimes. Lighten up sometimes to allow myself to accept that laughter is infectious and the perfect medicine for my soul.
Try laughing when all feels bleak. I did and it freed me to be me. To accept that sometimes when we take ourselves or our circumstances too seriously we forget to enjoy all that we are. In gratitude to laughter this morning. Opening my mind, body and spirit to possibility and creativity and joy. Laugh a lot today particularly when you feel you can’t and see just how great you feel. We always have the power to shift our emotions. Laughter is one easy way to do it.
Laughing through today and it’s Monday. Remembering that laughter is great food for the soul. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment