Saturday 26 January 2013

In order to gain anything we must be willing to lose everything


“In order to gain anything, we must be willing to lose everything" is a quote I read as I was preparing to start my Yoga class.
I had to read it over and over again before my Yoga Class started. Not really fully understanding its meaning before the class started, I decided to set it as my intention to understand its meaning during the class.
Throughout the class, the thought kept popping into my head. Changing the order sometimes but with the same intention. Sometimes I heard, We must give up everything to gain everything. 
As I was in a Yin Yoga Class we have to hold each pose for a minimum of two minutes. And sometimes holding poses can really burn. Test your will. Mentally and physically challenge you to remain in the same pose. But what I found with this lesson was whenever the thought of "in order to gain anything, we must be willing to lose everything" came into my head,  if I released when I felt the burn from holding a pose, I released the burn as well. And what was left was a deep sense of quiet and peace. A deep sense of comfort because I let go. Causing my whole being to smile inside and out.
When my Yoga class ended, I totally got what in order to gain anything, we must be willing to lose everything meant.  I realized it meant that we must not place attachment on any outcome. Not focus too hard on the destination. The ending. Instead we must just live our lives as they are and see where they lead.
By attaching an outcome, we are always in search of the outcome rather than enjoying the journey and the deviations along the way. With attachment we lose out on possibility. With detachment we open ourselves  to more than we ever dreamed. Because we are not limited by what we believe to be the right outcome. Instead we become unlimited in our possibilities.
We must give up everything means having the ability to surrender to all that is. And accept we are where we are meant to be. No expectations, no attachments, no outcomes, just the journey.
Easy to say but difficult in practice. All our lives we have been reaching for the finish line. Trying to cross over first. Oblivious to our surroundings. Instead keeping our eye on the prize. But what I know for sure is I am now being asked, being taught that the only way to gain is to let go. To surrender.
Like the leaf twirling and swirling in the wind. Drifting where the wind takes it. Dancing with it. Not resisting. Not holding on. Enjoying the dance. I realize I must let the wind carry me until I ever so gently land where I am meant to be. Even when I feel the wind is too strong and too painful. Even when I am most afraid. I accept that is the lesson I am meant to learn and I will keep going because that’s the journey I am meant to be on.
 And in the wise words of Joseph Campbell, I accept, “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment