Wednesday 31 October 2012

Friends


This morning I woke up with the strong desire to reach out to all those friends I have not been in contact with for quite some time. Friends that were there for me when I needed them the most. When I was going through tough times. Friends who were just friends and meant a lot to me at certain times of my life. Friends who disappeared out of my life once our time was done. But friends, nonetheless, who I feared could have been impacted by Sandy.
I even emailed a few of them to just let them know I am thinking of them and their families. Not knowing if they would ever receive my email but just sending it. Doing something felt better than doing nothing at all.
Within seconds two of the emails I sent to people who were very near and dear to me for quite some time during my University years bounced back telling me their addresses failed permanently. Sending a sense of foreboding through me. Making me question whether they were okay. Had they moved? Had their lives changed dramatically? Worrying about them. Hoping they are okay. Wishing I had stayed in contact more. Wishing I knew where they are.
Sitting back afterwards and questioning why it takes a tragedy or devastation to bring us all back together. To bring friends back into the forefront of our minds. Why don’t we take seriously the time we have with each other before something horrible happens? How and why do we lose contact with people we love, have loved or meant the world to us for a time? Why do people come and go in our lives just like the season but their memory always remains? Why does this happen?
I am thinking of all my friends today. Friends who have remained in my life. Friends that have come and gone. Friends that come and go. Friends that have become enemies for a time. But now understanding deep down they are still very much a part of my life because they came into it for a reason. For us to learn something from each other. To make us better people if we are able to forgive allowing us to grow from the experience.
To those friends I have lost contact with along the way, I treasure the time we had together and I am grateful our paths crossed when they did. To those friends that come and go, I honour you. To the friends that remain, I am truly grateful for your presence.
But more importantly my friends,  I know I am a reflection of you as are you of me. Mirrors of each other in this journey called life. Attracted to each other to help us grow  Sometimes easily and other times not. But for all of you, I am truly and utterly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment