Friday 12 October 2012

Suspended in time


Last evening while flying back from London, the airplane went into one of those weird suspensions of time because we hit a small pocket of turbulence caused by cloud build up just as we were nearing Bermuda. And in that suspension of time, it felt like everything just stopped. People stopped talking. The airplane felt like it came to a standstill and everyone waited.  Seemingly not even breathing. Waited for it to resume its normal sound. Waited.
And then it was over. The moment passed. Time ticking on again. The airplane back to normal. Everyone exhaling. The baby crying in the background resumed. And everyone else went back to normal. And for some reason that suspension in time resonated with me more than ever. Like I was part of a surreal dream. Looking from above what was happening on the airplane. Feeling like I was outside looking in.
So I decided to remember that suspension of time- that moment in time- to remind myself how long a moment really and truly is. To remind myself that I don’t always have to wait until something goes horribly wrong to appreciate each moment that I have in my life.  Thinking about how long that moment felt when the whole rhythm of the airplane changed for me. Causing me to question whether anyone else felt it or if it was just me.
I wondered if I was being sent a direct message from the Divine. To recognize that I am given moments in time, suspended moments in time, all the time, to allow myself to breathe, to change course, to make decisions, to rejoice or simply to cherish being in the moment.
When we are living our normal everyday lives we sometimes forget about the moment because we take it for granted. But yesterday evening when we ended up in that time capsule I realized that life does not change quickly. It ticks on by. Moment by moment.  It’s just that we are too busy to notice each moment because we are so busy projecting into the future. Too busy thinking about everything rather than the moment we are in.
Coming out of those dark dark clouds yesterday evening after a smooth 6 hours of flying was a wake up call for me to appreciate every moment because life really does change with each moment according to the Divine Plan and our choices. And the moment we broke through the clouds it was clear flying until we touched down. Clear skies just above the airport allowing me a moment to get to my family without any rain.
Seeing my husband and daughter as I came out of customs. Faces smiling at me. Appreciating the moment. Getting into the car just as the dark and stormy clouds came over us and the heavens opened. Appreciating the moment of enjoying my family before the torrential rain could spoil our moment of being together again. Driving home through the rain storm to see my sister I have not seen in two years and my son. Happy to see me.  Happy to see each other.  Appreciating the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment