Tuesday 30 October 2012

The Morning After


This morning I got up thinking about all those devastating photos and images I saw last night on the television as a result of the destructive path of Sandy. I stood at the window looking out at the full moon shining brightly down lighting up the otherwise dark morning and felt gratitude spreading through me. I whispered a thank you to the Universe for sparing my Island home and my family and everyone I know in Bermuda from the wrath of Sandy. I walked into my office and looked out the window and saw a sky full of stars and listened to the silence of the morning. And whispered thank you again.
It’s amazing what a difference a day can make. The sound of the howling wind has now been replaced by the sound of silence. The dark and menacing sky has now been replaced by stars and a big bright full moon. The feeling of hopelessness now replaced by hope.
And then I sat and started to type on my own computer at my own desk for the first time in nearly two weeks and I felt a surge of power. A surge of faith. A surge of gratitude. A surge of peace spread through me as I inhaled and exhaled.
I started first by looking at all the photographs of the destruction that had been left in Sandy’s path. I could not believe some of the images. Could not believe that a city as mighty as I thought New York was could be facing such damage. I always thought of a large city as being indestructible. That I would be safer there than I am on my exposed Island in the middle of the North Atlantic. But what I realize is when Mother Nature comes calling, it doesn’t matter where you are, if she is somehow obstructed she will destroy. That no matter how strong we may build buildings they are nothing compared to her strength and wrath. I watched buildings collapsing, cars floating down flooded roads, subways, buildings flooding. Trees breaking. Explosions. Fires. Deserted streets.
And then I tore myself away from the images and said a silent prayer for all those who have been affected by the record breaking storm. For all those who lost their lives and their families left behind to grieve. For all those who may not be able to go back home for quite some time due to damage. For all those who will be without power and amenities they are so used to having. And then I sat.
I felt a strange sense of silence engulf me after my prayer. That same sense that comes after experiencing a hurricane here. That sense of awe at the power of all we cannot control. Of all that can come lashing down on us wreaking havoc and destruction then pass us by engulfing us in silence. Then  I said a silent thank you to the Divine and the Universe for all those who have been spared. For all those who have been given another day. For all of us who were able to watch the power of Nature and to remember just how fortunate we are to be here for another day.
Again I sat for a moment in silence. In reverence to all that is. All that was. And all that will ever be. Knowing there are far greater powers than I will ever understand or be able to control. Accepting our lives are connected by a life force unexplained.  Thinking about all the wonderful prayers that spread throughout social media sending positive energy to all those who were affected by the storm. Gratitude in knowing that despite all the damage, within the human consciousness remained our interconnected nature of wishing peace and harmony to those we don’t even know. That when the time is right we can be a peaceful and loving race.
To all the survivors of Sandy, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you recover from her wrath. May our faith be restored by the restorative nature of our Universe.  May we remember the peace and harmony that was spread during the dread. And may we appreciate the dawn of a new day and the sound of silence.
Remembering always there is the morning after for those of us who are meant to remain. Remembering to surrender to all that is, was and ever will be. In gratitude for the calm after the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment