Tuesday 16 October 2012

Home Sweet Home


Just think yesterday I was worrying about flying back. About making it back because of the Tropical Storm Rafael bearing down on my Island home. Worrying that we would be detoured. Making contingency plans with my angel friend to pick up my children just in case. Feeling better once that was done. Boarding the flight saying a silent prayer to allow us to get home safely.
A few bumps here and there but nothing to worry too much about. Flight pretty uneventful other than that. Grateful that it was not really bumpy. Spotting my home from afar as the water started to turn turquoise knowing I was closer. There’s only one place in the world with the richest turquoise hues as the ocean surrounding my home. Surprised by the calmness of the ocean. Delighted by the sunshine. Wheels touching down. Racing along the runway. Gratitude sinking in that we were on the ground and safe.
Going to pick our children up together. Our daughter delighted to see us. Hugging us. Making a fuss. Our son electing to take the bus home with his friends. Greeting  us with hugs when he got home out of the eyesight of his friends. Both saying they missed us. Our son telling us he worried about us getting home safely all day. Wondered if the flight would be too bumpy for us. Touching us both with his sentimentality. The pleasure of parenthood.
Home. Feet back on the ground. Reality hits. Back to being a parent. Working mom and wife. No more fancy restaurants. Treats and going out every day. Back to the grind. But realizing that it’s necessary to take minibreaks to understand and appreciate them. If we had them the whole time would we appreciate them? Do we ever fully appreciate what we have all the time? Is that why these feelings and breaks are fleeting so we can appreciate.
Home. Sweet home. With my family. What joy. Nothing like it is it? The simple pleasures in life are always amazing. Particularly when we focus on the now.  Here’s to another day of normal everyday life. May I tackle my duties with ease and not feel overwhelmed. May I be open to the possibilities that exist.  May I be grateful for each one.  May Tropical Storm Rafael be gentle with us and do what he is meant to do – clear the air and bring down the humidity. And for all that was, all that will be and all that is I am truly grateful. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment