Friday 18 November 2011

Who is great?

Yesterday I bumped into several people who are feeling the economic pinch at the moment. Some have been looking for jobs with no luck for two years others for shorter periods of time but no matter how long the period has been each one of these people was feeling the exact same thing – rejected and feeling like they are on the outside looking in. Their sense of worth has been deflated and they feel defeated.
Some were saying how amazing it was that they were flying high one day with everyone lauding their success to the next day being cast out on the street with no one wanting to even talk to them. They see people that were happy to be in their company the day before cross to the other side of the road to avoid making contact with them. Some people have been blacklisted by people who feel they now have control over the person who is jobless and that makes the jobless person feel even smaller because nothing about their work ethic or capabilities has changed and they can’t understand why suddenly they are being treated like they have some contagious disease.
To each one of these people I was able to shine some light on them to let them know that the reason why they are facing such battles and difficulties is because they have been set on a path to learn more about themselves and to tap into their vast inner spirit. I told one person who has had one door after the other shut in her face that she is being prepared for something much greater and all she needed to do is to remember that no matter how horribly people may treat her it is up to her as to how she responds to them. I told her no one can break her spirit but her. I told her if nothing feels right at the moment to do nothing and wait – the wise man is the one who has the courage to be patient and act when he feels deep in his soul the right opportunity for his growth has presented itself. The foolish man is the one who feels he has to prove his worth to the outside world by doing something immediately just to show the outside world that he can.
Sometimes it takes us a lot longer to learn the lesson that we really need to and in those cases we wonder through the valley of darkness deeply entrenched with our shadow selves, slouching our shoulders and not believing in our own worth. But once we get through that valley of darkness and we learn the hard lesson of having to face our own shadow selves then we are much better people when we emerge.
For all those people yesterday who I spoke with and encouraged on, whether you realised it or not you also were my teachers because you helped me to see your pain and to know that no matter where I end up I shall not take for granted the feelings of another person, I will not disparage another person, and more importantly I will not judge another person. Because I know more than ever that every person that comes into my life is a mirror to my soul and is presenting me with the opportunity for growth.
For all those seeking, remember this one quote from the great Sage Thiruvalluvar, “Who is great? The one who does not what is easy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment