Sunday 6 November 2011

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. We are experts at sabotaging our own abundance, happiness and welfare. I woke up with this thought in my mind because I have been listening to so many people, myself included, saying that life is so unfair right now. There is so much anxiety, unrest and general feelings of animosity everywhere.
No matter where you are in the world right now we are being bombarded by bad news, war, violence, gossip and it is all contributing to that negative vibe of fear. Fear ultimately leads us to second guess everything we do and holds us rigid in the place we are because though we are suffering in that place, we know that place and are comfortable so we become too afraid to step outside that place and find whatever it is that will genuinely make us happy.
I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day and somehow we got around to the topic of why some people are luckier than others when an epiphany hit me and I realised with great clarity that there are no lucky people in this world. There are people who follow their dream full heartedly and believe totally in themselves that doors open for them. And then there are people who believe they have no luck, carry dark thoughts around with them about their lack and as a result they never achieve anything no matter how hard they think they are trying.
In order to move out of our sabotaging ways, we have to repeat positive affirmations and get into the habit of thinking positive thoughts. Right now it is so difficult because our world right now is in a perpetual state of fear. What’s so amazing is that each one of us as individuals can help to shift the negative energy by acknowledging the dark thoughts that enter our minds then we can use positive thoughts to replace them. I’m going to try this today and see just how much I can change my outlook.
I also posted on my Facebook wall the twelve inspiring quotes from Thich Nhat Hanh posted by the O magazine under the title, Simplify Your Life. There is one in particular that resonated with my thought process and it says, “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”
Belief in ourselves, our ability, and our power is what we need to free ourselves from suffering. As Thich Nhat Hanh also says, “Freedom is not given to us by anyone; we have to cultivate it ourselves. It is a daily practice... No one can prevent you from being aware of each step you take or each breath in and breath out.”
In other words, the way we chose to live our lives lies in how we believe in ourselves, treat ourselves and others. Simple but powerfully true.
Happy Sunday on this blustery wintery and dark day in Bermuda but today it’s beautiful for me and just what I need – the power of positive thinking, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment