Monday 2 December 2013

Our Christmas present comes early

Can you believe we are in the last month of 2013. December, the month of celebration, spirit and love. The time when everything becomes adorned with light and festivity. When people are happy and kind and sharing because the light from within us is exemplified by the light outside of us - from the twinkling Christmas lights on trees, buildings, everywhere they can go. When everything seems to be radiating from a place that we all can relate to – that wonderful and special place of love.
And what a wonderful way to begin this month of reverence to many and to others a time of peace and joy than to attend the Santa Parade last night. The atmosphere was electric. Families, friends, lovers and strangers gathered together last evening for the official beginning of the holiday season with the annual Santa parade. Even the weather cooperated by bringing us a refreshing coolness to let us know winter and Christmas is just around the corner.
The highlight of the evening for my husband, son, sister and me was to see our little girl making her first grand appearance as Little Miss Paradise. As her car approached, my eyes welled up with tears to see my little princess sitting on top of the car waving like it was a natural part of who she is. Like she was born to wave her hand and smile at everyone she saw. To bring joy into the hearts of those who may not have otherwise felt it.
My husband, sister and I gasping at how beautiful and confident she looked. All of us happy for her. Grateful that we are allowing her to be who she is regardless of what we may have thought she should be. Even her big brother thought she was a true princess last night.
I could not help but jump in the street to take her picture, forgetting for a moment that she was my daughter and instead becoming enraptured by this beautiful little girl who is following her dream, taking risks and putting herself out there as someone who knows what she wants and goes for it even at her young age. Totally embarrassing her by standing in the street and stopping the car so I could photograph her. But needing my moment with my daughter.
I was so excited for her that I could not focus the camera. My hands were shaking so much. Thank goodness there were others with a steadier hand who managed to capture the essence of our little princess who is willing to shine her love and light into the world. Many people sent us messages, photos and offers of congratulations as she passed them by.
But what was even more touching to me was when she finished the parade and got out of the car, all she wanted was to hold my hand. To be close to me as if reminding me she is still a little girl who needs a mother, father, brother, family, friends and mentors to be there for her. To help her and to guide her. Not to direct her or take anything away from who she is because she is still growing, still exploring and still fragile in where she can go. I squeezed her hand that much tighter as I blinked back a tear telling my little princess how proud we are of her. As did my husband, sister and son just before she went to sleep last night.
What a way to start the holiday season full of joy, peace and happiness. Thank you to all those who cheered our little girl on, she appreciates it, as do we. She felt your love pouring into her along the way encouraging her to be that much more gracious and grateful for your presence. May your holiday season be as promising our ours.

Happy Monday everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment