Saturday 7 December 2013

The magic of the moon

Last night we were treated to the most magnificent moon on our drive back home. A perfect crescent moon. It lay on its back, majestic and seemingly filling the whole night sky. Yellow like the sun. Shining down on us almost like the light of a star guiding us home. As we drove along Ferry Reach looking at the moon almost felt an optical illusion, the closer we got, the further away it became but we still felt like it was so close we could touch it with our bare hands. Feeling like it was touching us with its magnificent light. Oh what a wondrous sight. Bright in an otherwise dark night.
I could not peel my eyes away from the moon as it lit everything around it. Mesmerising.  Its light shining on the black dark still water like a beacon in the night.  The water flat calm. Not a ripple in it as it glowed from the light of the moon. Romantic thoughts. Childhood thoughts flowing through me caused by the perfect still night illuminated by the light of the moon. Running through my head were the nursery rhymes, "The cow jumped over the moon" and "Good night moon". Filling me with joy and peace.
I found myself slowing down to take in the full effect of the crescent moon putting on a show for us as it filled the night sky.Preening for us. Thinking about how even on the darkest night there is light always. Shining down on us. Guiding us. Helping us. Some people on that drive home probably never even saw that moon last night because there were in such a hurry to get to their destination that they probably did not even see the magic of the night. One car pulled over to see the moon. Mesmerised as was I.
I thought about how the sight of that moon held my thoughts, slowed me down, brought out the magic that exists within me and made me realise just how beautiful my Island home is. Just how fortunate I am to live in a place where the moon can act as like guiding star. How blessed I am to feel the light of the moon on me, my family and my Island home. To live in a place where the moon is not obstructed by tall buildings and glaring lights obscuring the light of the moon.
As we rounded the corner and the moon was no longer in front of us, I turned to look at it for as long as I could. At how its closeness had come during the holiday season to show us we are never alone. That even on our darkest night, there is a light to guide us home. A special feeling of belonging filled me up with love and faith. As I inhaled the light of the crescent moon.  Knowing I am a part of this magnificent world. A part of a larger creation and existence.  
I wanted to capture its beauty on camera but then decided it was better captured as a memory in my mind because I would never be able to capture the feeling I felt from the moon on camera but could hold it in my heart forevermore. So I watched as long as I could instead. Letting me know there are some things in life that can never be captured. Instead they need to be experienced and treasured as was the light of the moon last night reminding me to slow down and enjoy the journey because the only destination is death so there is no need to rush to the end but to live as much and as freely as I can.

Namaste to the beauty and majesty of the moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment