Sunday 16 October 2011

Understanding the need to pass the baton

“Fear makes us human. ...As long as I have fear I know I am alive." spoken by Samuel L. Jackson as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the thought provoking play on Broadway, The Mountaintop.
When I heard that line in the play, I knew I was meant to be there. I understood why the friends I was supposed to see last night cancelled because I was being by led by a much Higher Power to see The Mountaintop.
When Samuel Jackson spoke about fear, I felt as if he was speaking directly to me as I had been dealing with fear throughout the weekend. Fear that I am not good enough for this writing conference. Fear that my story is not what people want. His words told me that I am only human and that fear comes hand in hand when we step outside of our comfort zones.
The resounding message of the play was that it is up to all of us to continue to strive for a world of peace and equality not through violence but through compassion, understanding and empathy. Jackson's character said that at the end of the day people across the world regardless of their skin color or background all face the same underlying feeling of fear. We are all afraid - afraid of the unknown, afraid of giving up the traditions we feel comfortable with, afraid of change, and afraid of losing our place in society. He surmises that’s why he had empathy for the white people that were doing the horrible things they were because at the base of it all, they were afraid.
I was surprised by how Dr. King was being depicted at first and felt very uncomfortable watching several of the scenes because in my mind this man was one of the untouchables. And I found it disturbing that he was being humanized so much. Consequently, I found parts of the middle tough to handle. But the end was so unexpected and powerful that I forgot about the discomfort I felt and understood why he was being portrayed in the way he was.
Angela Bassett, in her character as a maid at The Lorraine Hotel, blew the roof off the house at the end with a monologue that sent chills up and down my spine. Bassett started off by uttering the names of people that were to follow in the footsteps of Dr. King. She preached how their presence in the world was to continue to carry the baton for the race that Dr. King had started. By the time she finished speaking; her presence on the stage was larger than life. In my opinion, she left an imprint of the names of the people that would change the world based on the foundation laid by Dr. King reverberating throughout everyone’s consciousness.
This glimpse into the future allowed Dr. King to accept his job on Earth was done and in order for the baton to be carried he had to become a martyr. A place he did not want at first but accepted it when he understood his role was done.
The Mountaintop infused me with such confidence and strength because it reminded me I am a product of the work of martyrs like Dr. King. I owe it to him and those who came before me to not let fear stop me from exploring the unknown. I cannot be afraid to be me. I cannot hide behind what's comfortable. It's only when I step out of my comfort zone that I will experience the growth I need allowing me to pass the baton to those who will follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment