Friday 14 October 2011

Understanding the importance of living our truth

I had another Aha moment watching the Oprah LifeClass webcast last night and a veil lifted I didn't even know was there.
I realized I am attracting so many people, even complete strangers, from many different walks of life, into my life right now because I have taken a step closer to my truth by writing this blog. And in doing so I am radiating such a light of truth that people want to be near me. It is so freeing just knowing this.
Before I would have apologized for acknowledging the light I am radiating because I would have been afraid that people would call me arrogant and whisper behind my back. I would have worried that they would be saying things like, “who does she think she is?” Since listening to Oprah's life changing series, I know in order for me to keep growing I have to continue to let my light shine by being truthful to what resonates within my soul.
Yesterday I flew from Bermuda and ended up sitting next to an intriguing man on the flight. He is retired and enjoys flying airplanes. We had some pretty philosophical discussions during that hour and forty five minutes flight. It was almost as if we had known each other all our lives.
I believe we had these conversations because when I sat down, I looked the gentleman in the eye, smiled and greeted him. Immediately his whole demeanor changed, became more relaxed and the energy between us joined. It allowed us to be open and honest with each other about fears, human nature, politics, religion and every other taboo subject but at no point did we challenge each other. We just talked and listened to each other.
What stuck in my mind about this man was when he said to me, "I am not a spectator in life. I live life vicariously." He had a very serious illness when he was younger that left him slightly debilitated. This experience forced him to go inside and reassess his life and thought processes. After months of being paralyzed and then having to learn how to walk again, he made a life changing decision. He decided instead of crawling under a rock and claiming himself to be a victim because he cannot walk the way he used to, can't run the way he used to, he channeled his energies into things he could do like ski where it does not matter that the bottom half of his legs don't cooperate with him. Because his legs don’t always act as quickly as he would like them to, he became an avid pilot because it gives him a sense of freedom. I helped this man to remember to be proud of his choices because I spoke my truth.
Then last evening I went to have a manicure and pedicure done. I ended up talking to the lady that owns the shop because I looked her in the eyes and acknowledged her too. The walls of separation between us was shattered and we ended up chatting like two old girlfriends who had not seen each other in years. She told me about how she knew she could never work for anyone and had to control her own destiny so she opened her shop. Initially she was so consumed with making money she became a workaholic and was not satisfied unless she was counting money. She worked around the clock. But two years after she started her business, her husband told her he needed a girlfriend because all he had was a roommate rather than a wife. He said if she decided she wanted to be with him, she needed to stop working so much. She had been so consumed by her sense of success that she had forgotten to actually enjoy and live life. It forced her to reexamine her choices. Now she is not only working as much as she was but she is also giving herself time to be. She does Yoga every morning before going to work and she spends weekends with her husband. She is finally giving herself permission to explore who she truly is and she said she feels more settled. I helped this woman to remember her truth by being true with her.
The blog I posted yesterday was a confession on my behalf about the fear of others reading what I write and immediately I got feedback from my niece. Writing my blog has allowed us to reach a new level in our relationship. All because I am speaking my truth.
The other response was from a woman I met doing the O Magazine walk in NY. The woman has cancer and has been fighting it for some time. She gives me courage just by being who she is. We were two strangers whose paths crossed on a cold day in New York when we were amongst the highest fundraisers for the O magazine walk. We didn't get to spend the time we thought we would with Oprah but we developed a relationship that we would not have had we not been at that walk. Something drew us together and we stuck together for that walk. And still this woman is sticking with me now. So despite not getting the Oprah time, we connected on a much deeper level. Writing my blog has allowed us to reconnect once again. All because I am speaking my truth.
Then late last night I got another response to my confession yesterday by a woman I used to work with and she told me that she looks forward to reading my blog because each blog I have written has given her an Aha moment. Again because I am speaking my truth.
Sometimes strangers and old acquaintances come into our lives to remind us of how interconnected we are really are and as that gentleman I met on the airplane said, “There are only six degrees of separation.” To which I answered, “With modern technology, social networking, and the amount of travelling we all do, there is much less than that now.”
Sharing is power because it lets us know we are not alone which in turn allows us to be more open and truthful with ourselves and others. And what I learned more than anything yesterday is living my truth will always attract people into my life that I need because they are the ones who will help me to understand more about me. Living my truth will also repel people who cannot and will not accept me for who I am and they will fall to the wayside. I will grieve those people for a time but I have learned now I must move beyond them because only the truth will ever set me free.
Thank you to all those who are following me on my journey to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment