Monday 31 October 2011

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone. The day it is acceptable to be something or someone we aren’t. This is a day that so many of us look forward to because we can walk outside with masks on, green hair and no one will think otherwise. As a matter of fact most people will even smile when they see us because I believe in our heart of hearts we all believe in make believe.
Thinking about some of the costumes I saw over the weekend, I can truly say that Halloween allows many of us to take on the form of our alter egos. People were dressed as Superwoman - every girl’s fantasy - Geisha women, every man’s fantasy, nurses, doctors, evil people, and good people. I’m always amazed at the number of people who go for religious figures – I have to admit they always unnerve me – my immediate thought is they are being sacrilegious – that’s the good old Church of England upbringing where I was raised to believe there was none other than God. I also marvel at the people who dress in uniforms – why chose something so standard – is it because they seek order in their lives?
I have never wanted to be anything scary or ugly or stupid either. Most of my costumes have been on the funky or beautiful side like being Pocahontas, a diva witch, a haunted Queen and each time I have felt strange while in those costumes because I didn’t like the attention but secretly I did want to embrace my characters and become them. A strange conflict of alter ego versus who I am instead of just enjoying being the other person for the day.
My daughter loves Halloween and she seems to be somewhat like me, wants the beautiful costumes. This year she will be an Egyptian princess and everything has to be just so. She has spent ages putting together her costume, even taking a family poll about what colour lipstick she should wear. She is counting the hours until she can get dressed and can’t understand why anyone should have to go to school on Halloween. How dare they she says, Don’t they know it’s Halloween!
My son on the other hand has always wanted the scariest costumes he can find. He often puts bits and pieces together from his wardrobe. The more gruesome the better which is so opposite to his personality. He is very sensitive and caring about others which is why it is so strange to see him take on the scariest characters. This year he isn’t as bothered but when I bought him home a fake knife that looks like it’s sticking into his head and coming out the other side his eyes lit up and now he can’t wait for tonight.
My husband just thinks the whole Halloween thing is totally overrated and doesn’t get into it at all.
Tonight we will go to my Aunt’s house as all the cousins do and we will go out as a group taking the children trick or treating around the neighbourhood, we visit a haunted house and each year one more of the children builds up the nerve to go inside the haunted house. It is definitely a night I look forward to as do my children. I just hope this year we don’t get egged when we are driving back. But even if we do, it’s all in the Halloween spirit.
I also hope I don’t eat any more of that candy that is so tempting and is landing squarely on my hips! So off I go today to take on my Pixie chic character (my daughter’s idea, perhaps being in the Enchanted forest of Vermont) when I embrace the child in me with my children.
Happy Halloween everyone and please take on that character today that is struggling to come through. Go on it’s the only day when you’re allowed and no one will think you’re crazy. Enjoy!
It’s make believe day. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment