Wednesday 26 October 2011

Believing in Make Believe

Yesterday was a day that made me truly believe in magic. I felt like I was in the midst of a fairytale with everything around me magical, enchanting and almost dreamlike. I felt like a little child again – all tingling and bright. Eyes wide open in wonderment and awe.
The morning started out very dark, heavy fog covered the majority of the mountains changing them so they looked like black menacing obelisks. The trees had lost their spectacular colour to the darkness around them – making them look barren and foreboding. We sat at the breakfast table leisurely eating breakfast trying to decide if we were going to let the oppressive day outside keep us inside.
We decided to take the morning slow, read a bit, watch a bit of television and just be. After a few hours of quiet time, we decided to take a drive to Stowe. As we loaded into the car, hope crept back into the day as the fog started to lift off the mountains allowing slivers of sunlight to stream through.
As we crested over the hill from Smuggler's Notch, we could see clear blue skies ahead, exactly where we were going. The light changed. The air grew lighter. We all started chatting at the same time.
"There are very few red leaves left," said my son.
Yes we all agreed but each time we spotted a red leaved tree, it took our breath away. As we drove closer to Stowe the prevalent colours were orange and gold. We had a wonderful lunch at the Green Mountain Inn with a friendly waiter from Jamaica reminding us how the world is quickly becoming a melting pot of people from all different cultures. A Jamaican in Stowe serving a family from Bermuda – who would have thought?
We walked around the town for a bit taking in the lovely architecture of the buildings, the friendliness of the people, its beauty and serenity. We marvelled at the cleanliness, the lack of neon and flashing signs, the quirkiness of the shops and people. We liked the individuality of the stores, no chains, no run of the mill stuff – different, unexpected and lovely.
We began our drive back to Smuggler's full of the Stowe experience and just when we thought we had seen as much beauty as was possible, we hit the entrance to the Smuggler's Notch pass where we were embraced by a line of beautiful golden trees. It felt like we were being pulled into an Enchanted Garden.
My husband and I said to each other at the same time, “Isn’t this magical.”
My husband continued, “Definitely makes you believe you are seeing things on those hills.”
My daughter then started reciting the names of her Brownie group’s names. “The imps, the pixies, the leprechauns, the elves, the gnomes, the calpies, and the fairies,” almost as if she was being lulled in by the magic that surrounded us as well.
Looking at the hills on each side, I imagined the fairies, pixies, imps and elves dancing among the trees, fluttering back and forth, sprinkling their magic dust through the air. I visualized dwarfs, gnomes and leprechauns getting into mischief behind the large boulders and laughing at us as we drove by. I could hear the song of the wood fairies lulling us through. I could feel the magic in the air as golden leaves, orange leaves, copper leaves and red leaves fluttered daintily to the ground almost as if they were dancing to the wood song.
Then when we reached the top of the Smuggler's Notch pass in the distance before us lay the valley all lit up by the setting sun, light dancing, and dazzling, sending shivers up and down my spine. The scenery was oh so magical, mystical and enchanting.
It was definitely a day where I truly believed in make believe because it was there right in front of my eyes. Lulling me in. Encouraging my imagination to soar. Willing me to accept there is a whole world of make believe that lives alongside us if we open our minds to it. What a wonderfully creative and uplifting experience. Thank you Universe for allowing me to be open to witness your magic. To awaken and embrace the child in me who always knew the world is full of magic…

No comments:

Post a Comment