Tuesday 11 October 2011

It's okay to make mistakes

One of the most liberating concepts I discovered today is it’s okay to make mistakes.
Too many of us go through life striving for perfection. Striving to make the right move at the right time at all times. In doing so we forget to live. To stumble. To fall. To bruise ourselves.
When I look back at my life experiences, my best opportunities for growth came when I made mistakes because they allowed me to learn so much more about me, life and the people around me.
By making mistakes and getting through them, I have developed empathy because until I experienced the humbling effect of making a mistake, I could not relate to what other people were experiencing.
I remind myself constantly that I am an imperfect human being who was sent to this earth plane to learn more about myself and mankind by making mistakes. The bigger the mistake the greater the lesson.
I read an email Oprah shared from one of her African daughters who was thanking Oprah for teaching her so much about life. What was so profound about this young woman was that as a teenager she has a head start over so many of us adults. She has already liberated herself from the shackles of her mind and the expectations of others because she has accepted that it is okay to make mistakes. She knows already it is her ego that blocks her from living her life and not someone else’s. What a life she will lead if she remembers the power of releasing her ego.
I wish I had learned this early on then maybe I would not have boxed myself in. Maybe I would have been a better skier if I would have let myself fall. Maybe. Maybe. But it’s never too late. We have to learn to break the boundaries of our minds freeing us to falter so we can rise again.
Imagine if we all accepted that it is okay to make mistakes. Imagine how liberating it would be to live our lives adventurously and not according to the expectations of anyone else. Imagine the children we would raise. Are you getting the picture?
Now instead of imagining, let’s start living our lives, making mistakes along the way, picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and starting all over again. Mistakes are our greatest teachers.
How freeing is it to know that mistakes are the portals to a much more evolved and enlightened state of being. Let’s embrace those mistakes and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment