Thursday 31 July 2014

Our children are the architects, engineers and designers of their own lives

This summer I am learning so much about how to parent growing children. Children on the verge of understanding more about themselves. Children on the verge of becoming independent thinkers. My husband and I have always taken the approach that when our children express an interest in something, we provide them with the means to explore that interest early. To see if it is something that is truly for them so they can determine if it is something they really want to pursue.Rather than dream, we are encouraging them to do. To try rather than imagine.
If they say they want to sky dive, we try to facilitate that. If they say they are interested in performing arts, we immerse them in it to see if that’s what they want as my daughter has expressed and so there she is for the next three weeks. As my son expressed an interest in programming so he spent two weeks exploring his passion. And after his two weeks, he came away thinking programming is definitely something he wants to pursue but not sure what avenue he will take to make something out of it – engineering, gaming, etc. so now he has something to think about more because he has been exposed to his passion.
What I am learning from the two of them is that they have each other’s backs. They talk about everything to each other. As a parent I love that we chose to have two children. I also love that we are raising them in such a way that they don’t feel they have to compete with each other to get our attention because we give them our attention as much as they ask for it. We also respect their boundaries without crossing the line as much as we can. We back off when they ask us too within reason. And what I am learning is as they get older those reasons and boundaries are becoming more and more blurred and stretched.
So I am learning to trust my gut, to put myself in their shoes, to think back to how I felt when I was their age, to allow myself to be able to know when I need to walk away, step back. It happened to me twice this summer. Once when I dropped off my 15 year old son at his camp and he wanted me to leave right away so he could meet his roommate on his own. And the second time when I dropped my 11 year old off at her camp and she had established relationships with one of her roommates and her floor counsellor within minutes making her comfortable enough to want to establish herself without me doing it for her.  So she asked me to leave. Much sooner than I ever thought she would and though I wanted to stay. Wanted to stay for as long as I could to make sure she was okay, my instincts told me it was time to go. To let her find her way as I did with my son.
I wanted so desperately in both instances to go back and sneak behind the scenes to see what their day was going to be like. To make sure they understood where they had to be and what they had to do. But what I am learning is all I am is the facilitator in my children’s lives. To open the door for them to go through to experience their lives full on without intervention from me. And once the door has been opened, I have to be brave enough, trusting enough and have faith enough to know they’re where they are meant to be. Gaining the experiences they are meant to gain – whether good or bad, traumatizing or inspiring. It is their path to walk; not mine.
So I am learning to let go and to let be – a lesson for my own life – through the lessons from how best to let my children be who they asked to come here to be and not who I want them to be or who society thinks they should be. They and they alone are the architects, engineers and designers of their own lives. Not me or anyone else. A humbling and powerful lesson. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment