Wednesday 2 July 2014

On the run a gift to my daughter

You know it is amazing to see how music can unite people from all different walks of life. People  whose paths may not have otherwise crossed. People who come together for one common reason to listen to good music and to watch a great performance. And what a treat it is to be a part of something as amazing as a great show as it was last night for my daughter and me when we had the opportunity to see the On the Run concert by Beyoncé and Jay Z at the Gillette Stadium in Boston.
From the moment they hit the stage it was all go. Taking away the angst of having to sit in traffic for over 2.5 hours to get to the stadium. Erasing any memory of having to jump out of the car and race to the stadium in just enough time to pick up our tickets. Getting to our seats and finding we were in the best seats for us with a full on view of the stage. 
What an amazing feeling it must be as a husband and wife to know they can fill a stadium and have the entire crowd on their feet from start to finish. What could be more validating than that.
Just before we got to Boston my daughter said one of her bucket list items would be to see a Beyonce concert. And so when I discovered we were in Boston at the same time as the concert I did what I could to get us tickets. And the tickets ended up being better than I expected. Not right up front so it was too much for my daughter but close enough that we could see the action. And she could appreciate the show without being intimidated by the whole thing.
And close enough to the stage and the passageway that when Beyoncé and JayZ ran between stages we could literally touch them. To see the look of glee on my daughter's face when one of her idols came so close to her is a memory I will always cherish as I am sure so shall she. To be able to give such a gift to my daughter meant as much to me as seeing the show probably meant to her.
I want my daughter and my son to know when they work hard enough, nothing on their bucket lost is out of reach. Everything is available to them and possible for them if they put their minds to it and do what they need to do. So I surprised my daughter with the tickets and she was so full of joy and appreciation she was overwhelmed at first because she never thought I would take her to a Beyoncé concert.
Beyoncé is one of my daughter's idols because of how great of a performer she is. How driven she is. How she knew she wanted to perform from the moment she was born it seems and my daughter has similar aspirations. She also admires how Beyoncé has managed to keep herself away from drugs, is married to a man equally as powerful and as influential as she is, a mother and more importantly is a woman who sees nothing out of her reach. Sees what she wants and goes for it regardless of the naysayers and haters. And because my daughter wants to be in the Performing Arts I want to expose her to as many aspects of that dream as my husband and I possibly can so she can see what her niche is and how she may navigate her way through achieving that dream. Or to even determine if that is her dream.  We do the same for our son as well. Opening their eyes to possibility is what I consider to be one of the greatest gifts my husband and I can ever give to our children. Because by doing so they can then determine if their dreams are truly for them or if they are not. And the earlier they are exposed the better. Because it gives them more time to figure out who they are by experience rather than us lecturing them about life. Why not let them experience it for themselves with us by their side during their formative years.
So last night's concert did not fail in any way. The crowd was so diversified from ethnicity, creed, age, culture and everyone was totally enjoying the performance by Beyoncé and JayZ. But for me it was delivering a bucket list item to my daughter and letting her come close enough to one of her idols with me by her side so she will always know I and her papa are always looking out for her and her brother's best interest and to know if they want their dreams to come true they have to go for it rather than sitting and watching someone else do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment