Monday 21 July 2014

A perfect Sunday

Yesterday was one of those days that was right up there in terms of perfection. Not only was the weather beautiful but so was my spirit. So was my family. So was my role in life. Without question, I felt beautiful inside and out. Felt truly and honestly blessed, loved and grateful.
It began with me waking up early in the morning, the light of the day streaming through my closed blinds. Inviting me to wake up and be a part of a day that felt like everything was going to fall into place. Getting up and sitting on our front porch as a female red bird came and sat on the tip of one of the branches of the Poinciana tree. Her dark feathers and red beak contrasting against the redness of the remaining flowers on the Poinciana tree branches as if she was greeting me. She and I sharing a quiet female moment together. Then I heard the haunting call of an unseen dove, echoing throughout the otherwise silent morning. Listening to nature as it woke for the day amidst the silence of the waking morning. The sound of silence more powerful than any noise.
Walking around to the back porch and sitting facing the sun as it rose high in the sky. The female red bird seemingly following me and sitting high up on the wire above me. Again silent but peering down at me. Both of us females again sharing the sound of silence of the day. Me looking at the leaves of the palms swaying in the breeze as chills ran up and down my spine as I thought about how fortunate I am. Closing my eyes while raising my face to the sun allowing the ultraviolet rays to filter behind my closed eyes almost as if they were flames. Seeing the burst of oranges and reds going off in my mind’s eye through my closed lids. Feeling the warmth of life flowing through me. Thinking about how life in general has been really good to me even in the worst of times. Even when everything seemed upside down. Realizing it was upside down to help me to right side myself. In order for me to grow.
Driving up to see my dad. To check in on him first thing in the morning. As I drove along South Shore, I looked out over the ocean. The ocean that surrounds us and could destroy us at any moment if it so chose but for centuries has been our protector against those who need not come. Looking at its beauty – blues like nowhere else in the world – turquoise, sky and every blue imagined reflecting back from its rolling waves. Our summer resident birds – the longtails flitting above the ocean. Their underbellies reflecting the blue of the ocean. Feeling so blessed to call Bermuda my home. The yin and yang of life – a beautiful powerful ocean surrounding our delicate island that at any moment could swallow us as if we were nothing and keep rolling on.
Seeing my dad and being pleasantly surprised by how well he looked compared to the last time I had seen him when he had fear in his eyes and his confidence had dropped. Yet yesterday he had light back in his eyes and he was standing. Stood up to let me see he is all right. Telling me he thinks he will live to see 90. Me feeling okay with where he is. Okay with how he chooses to live his life. After all he is 86 years old and if he feels safe and content where he is then who am I to question him or want him to change. He and I having a good conversation then I left after speaking with my brother and nephew. All of us agreeing to let him be. A relief taken off all our shoulders. A burden we need not carry just yet.
Then the icing on the cake came when my husband, son, daughter and I decided to have a family lunch together. Going to 1609, the new restaurant housed at the tip of the grounds of one of our oldest hotels, the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. A great venue for anyone who wants to experience the activity and beauty of Bermuda’s harbor with boats, yachts, jet skis coming and going against the backdrop of stately homes, islands and more. The food is not the best but the ambiance and the white wine sangrias are enough to balance out the minimal food choices and the okay flavours. But best of all was the four of us being together. Chatting. Laughing. Making fun of each other. Snapping photos and just being together.
The day ending with us going to see our new family project – Slow Roller, a boat my husband bought for us to fix up over time to make it our family boat but one we can enjoy as it is right now. Docked at my mentor mother’s house allowing us to chat with them for a bit as we sat in our boat enjoying the scenery around us, the company and life.
Last night when I went to bed, I felt so satiated. So full of life. So grateful for every trial because each one has brought me to this place. To where I am today. Allowing me to understand that life is full of ups and downs. Full of lessons to be learned to help us to grow into the people we are and for me each experience has allowed me to be a better mother to my children and wife to my husband because they have made me into the woman I am today and still am becoming.
Feeling so blessed on this Monday morning that I am ready for whatever comes my way because if my past is in any way indicative of what is to come, I need not worry because eventually I will get through the trials and have more days as I did yesterday. With gratitude and grace for accepting I am who I am as I am where I am with love. Namaste.





No comments:

Post a Comment