Monday 14 July 2014

There is always light and love

It felt so good landing in Bermuda with my son on Saturday. Walking out of customs and hearing my daughter shouting, "Mommy." To see her little face all lit up because we were all back together again. The look of joy on my husband's face. The relief on the face of my son. Hugs all around once we walked through. The downpour of rain that came as we got into Immigration had come and gone leaving its steam in its wake as we walked out of the building arm in arm. The Bermuda Duffy clan back together again - Father, Mother, Son and Daughter.
It was so lovely to see the beautiful colors in Bermuda again. To even feel the steam of the rain coming up off the hot tar. We decided to drive into St. George and have a reunion lunch so we could all catch up on what had happened over the two week period our son and brother had been gone. Driving past our old home where both my son and daughter had spent their first few years on this Earth. Our old home now the home of someone else and looking completely different from the home we shared so many firsts together. Signalling that period of our lives was over and done but the memories live on.
It was so wonderful to sit around the table looking out over the St. George Harbor from the Wahoo Restaurant. A slight breeze coming in just when we needed it to cool us from the otherwise scorching sun. Talking about the life we used to live . My husband the previous owner of the Deliverance and the tours he once led. The children proud to know his name still remains on the ship. Proud we once owned a piece of history.
Our son filling in his sister and father about the camp he had just completed. The friends he made and the experience he will never forget. And then after lunch was done, we drove home. The long drive home - all things are relative to where we live - a 25 minute drive to us is a long drive but from where my son and I came, a short drive. As we drove I looked out the window at the ocean, the flowers, the trees, the Garden of Eden I live in by the sea and felt so grateful to call Bermuda my home.
As we drove into our yard, I was taken aback by where I live. The freshly cut grass showcasing our family home. The Poinciana tree, though starting to wane a bit, still full of red flowers. The avocado trees laden with baby avocados. Our resident monarch butterfly flying over to greet us. Sally, our neighborhood cat,stretching lazily out on the soil as she glimpsed out of the corner of her eye at us as we walked part then jumped up and rubbed herself against my leg as if to say welcome home.
Later that evening we all went to the City Hall to watch our daughter model for the Evolution fashion show and again felt really proud of our children. Of our family unit. Of all the things we are exposing each other to and the things they are themselves to as well. Of how our lives have changed but yet remained the same.
All in one day I experienced so many emotions about my life. About the choices I have made. About the great man I chose to marry as my life long companion and father of my children. About being a mother to the wonderful children I have. About where I live and what I do. And the most powerful feelings that came through were total gratitude and love. Looking from my husband to my son to my daughter and up at the large full moon, I thought no matter how dark it gets, at the end of the day there is always so much to be grateful for and so much to live for. There is always light and love. There is always my family. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment