Wednesday 9 July 2014

The beauty of the month of June

My Island home is at its best this month. This picturesque and wonderful month of June. Everything that can be in bloom is in bloom. With the most spectacular for me being the Poinciana tree. Having the pleasure of waking up every morning, looking out my bathroom window and being greeted by the redness and fullness of the Poinciana tree is such an awe inspiring moment. The Poinciana tree that has basically taken over the front yard.


Poinciana trees are some of my favourite trees. Not only do they have a vividness to the green with their abundant red flowers but they become like a canopy to protect us from the coming of the full summer sun. They become so full that they almost touch the ground providing ample shade for not one family but a few.
I love how they seem to go from bare to full overnight.  Like magic they are suddenly at their best. Allowing me to be completely surprised by their majesty and beauty from one day to the next. I love the month of June in Bermuda because I can see before me the abundance that exists for us all. Everything that can be in bloom is in bloom. New life sprouts from everywhere.
Butterflies come out of their cocoons. Mr. Kingpin’s, our resident toad, offspring come out from their hiding places hopping all across the yard. Delighting us with their antics as they scurry from us as we do from them. Baby birds fly across us at lightning speed as they spread their wings to independence. Flowers bloom. Grass grows faster than it can be cut. 
June is such a month of new beginnings that it fills me up as I see before me anything is possible if I set my mind to it. Particularly when I sit on my porch and take in the redness of my Poinciana tree.  Marveling at the fact that only two years ago, we had cut it right back, lobbing off its breaking branches to allow it time to breathe. To now where it is even fuller than it was before.
Letting me know sometimes we have to allow ourselves to breathe, to be cut back in order to give ourselves time to flourish. And that is the beauty of taking the time to observe nature because it has so many messages for us. So many examples of the cycle of life. So many illustrations of how though we may believe something is new, it is just a repeat of what has always been. Allowing me to accept if we are patient enough and appreciative enough, whatever ending we have experienced is setting us up for a new beginning. Giving us space to replenish ourselves to be even better than before.

So grateful for the beauty of my Poinciana tree which comes to full life during the month of June and then begins to bow out for others to have their turn. A lesson for me. Every one of us has a turn to shine then fade away until the next time when we are patient enough and grateful enough as I am today. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment