Wednesday 25 June 2014

Today I honour a woman

Today is the day 
I honour a woman
A woman who helped to change my life 
Today is the day she was born
The day she opened her eyes 
And her heart to this world
The day she began her journey of wisdom
Kindness and compassion
The day she began her walk to her place of employment
And waited many years for me to come
The day she was born never to physically become a mother
But the day she pledged she would mother me
So she could mother me when no one else did
She waited for me to walk into the office
Where she worked some 34 years ago
And when I did
She knew right away
I knew right away
There was something between us that cannot be described
Cannot be explained in any sense that could be understood
Except that we knew
We knew we would always be together
Striking a bond that would not be broken
By either time
Distance
Or trial
She saw through my hard exterior
Reached through it
And embraced
The frightened little girl
Whose heart had been broken
Life turned upside down
Saw that she had no clue about life
No understanding about the human spirit
No trust in the journey called life
And took me under her wing
Opened her arms wide 
And embraced me
Taking me in fully and totally
After she looked in my eyes 
And saw something
Something I didn’t even know existed in me
Took me into her heart
And led me out of my darkness
So I could begin my journey
My journey to the light
To help me to be the woman I am today
Today I celebrate this woman
With love, light and gratitude
This woman who helped to grow me
In ways I didn’t know I could even be grown
Taught me the importance of impression
How to dress
How to speak to people
How to look people in the eye
How to ask for what I wanted
How to navigate through the world of business
She looked out for me
Guided me as much as she could
During the summer of 1980
The summer when I did not know
Where I was going
Or what I was going to do
The summer I had graduated from high school
With no plan
When I learned people actually planned for tomorrow
When I discovered I had no direction for the future
When I discovered I had no idea who I was
Or what I was going to do
That life was not going to land in my lap
That I had to reach for it
And work hard
And she saw something in me
Felt something about me
And put aside judgment about what had happened in my life
Put aside talk about my lack of support
And filled my head with purpose
With dreams
With goals
And set me on my way to be
Much more than I ever dreamed I could be
Even though deep down inside
I always knew there was a world across the ocean
Across the ocean I used to stand on its shores
And think about what those people across it did
The ocean I knew I would cross many times over
But never knew how
She helped me to see
I was just as good
As they were
And just as deserving
So today I celebrate this woman
Who came into my life
Some 34 years ago
Who waited for me to show up
And she showed up for me
And who selflessly and tirelessly remains with me
Sometimes with me all the time
Other times intermittently
Never demanding
Never pressuring
Never judging
But always there when I need her
Always there when I call upon her
Still without judgment
Still without talk
Just there to help me to balance me and my life
It was this woman that opened my eyes
To compassion
To supporting others
To know no woman or man is an Island
We all need help
And when we get
We have to give
When we learn
We have to teach
To be there as a mentor and sponsor for others
Because without her
I would not be as open and as learned as I am today
So today I honour her
By wishing my angel
My rock
My confidante
The woman who mothered me
When I needed to be mothered the most
And still mothers me when I need it the most
Today I speak her name with honour
With the utmost love and respect
Catherine Lord
Thanks for always being there
When I need direction
When I need balancing
When I need someone to just be there
Be there for me
As you always are
May this day be as special to you
As you are to me
Happy Birthday Cathy
Happy Birthday to you
So blessed to know
You waited
Waited just for me


No comments:

Post a Comment