Thursday 26 June 2014

The gift of inspiration

Yesterday was one of those beautiful days
Fulfilling days
When because I gave back
I was given to
A beautiful morning assembly at a school
I, along with some of my colleagues, had volunteered our time
To expose some young minds to a part of the wider world
To give them the opportunity to come out of their world
Into a world previously beyond their reach
Existing over there
For other people
Not for them
So they thought
Until we changed that
And gave them the opportunity
To experience a large office
To meet people in the business world
They may not have otherwise met
To open their eyes to possibility
They previously thought was impossible for them
Or never even knew existed
Particularly for them
As I watched their smiling faces
I thought back to when we first met them
At how their eyes were untrusting
Their thoughts guarded
To when we left them
And how their whole outlooks had changed
I mused with pride about how
They had presented to audiences
When before some had no voice
About how their confidence had grown
When before they did not know what confidence was
About how the light had come on in their eyes
Was just as much a gift to me as it was to them
And yesterday without expectation
They thanked us
In a moving assembly
For moving them
When in fact it was them that had moved me
Moved me to tears
As I heard their speeches
Their music played with instruments
Music sung with such great pride
Taking me back to the quote I read
The one I read yesterday that said
“I want to inspire people
I want someone to look at me
And say because of you
I did not give up.”
The quote that resonated with me as true
As I watched the students yesterday
Knowing I had inspired someone
Knowing particularly in one
I helped to find her voice
A voice that allowed her to speak with confidence
A voice that said to me
Because of you I did not give up
You see there are some who gave me that voice
That opportunity long ago
To be the woman I am today
And the woman I am still becoming
And yesterday I realized in that little assembly hall
That my life had come full circle
I am now the one giving back
Opening the door of possibility
To those who did not even know there was a door
And what joy
Pure joy I felt
And feel
To know
The more I inspire
The more I am inspired
The more I give
The more I get
The more I am present
The more will become present for me
I am so grateful for taking the time to give
To inspire
To give hope
Because in doing so
I get the greatest reward
The gift of community
The gift of sharing
The gift of time
There is nothing more powerful
Than the gift of time
The gift of self
Particularly when it comes to young minds
The minds that will one day be the present
The minds that will one day colour the world
What better gift than to be present
Just for them
And in doing so
Becoming present for myself
The circle of life
When we give to one
We give to all
When we inspire one
We inspire all
Because we realise
There is enough
For not just one
But for us all
Namaste






No comments:

Post a Comment