Friday 2 May 2014

A lesson in gratitude from two unexpected people yesterday

Yesterday I flew home and what a beautiful day to arrive into Bermuda. I could not have asked for a better day. Seated next to me was a businessman who sits on several Boards and travels around the world doing so. Seated next to him was a travel agent on a fact finding mission with a group of other travel agents to see what Bermuda was all about. She was from Minneapolis. He from Virginia.
They were discussing Bermuda. It was her first time coming to Bermuda. He comes often for his board meetings. She was enthralled by the colour of the ocean and was thrilled to see the sun. She had not seen the sun for a week because it had been so cold in Minneapolis and dark.
He started telling her things about Bermuda from his perspective – the long lines at Customs for arriving passengers, the high costs of restaurants, and all sorts of things that were interesting to hear. I could not resist so I butted into their conversation just to set the record straight about Bermuda. She was of the opinion that there was nothing to do in Bermuda in the winter. She thought it was far too cold in the winter to come to Bermuda.
I told her about the spas and golf and other escape activities visitors could take advantage of in the winter because we maintain an average temperature of 68 degrees. She was stunned. I was in the right place at the right time to help sell our Island to the travel agent. Telling her places she should try to see so she can go back and tell her customers. I advised her to try to get out from just having a tour of the hotels to try to explore some of the beautiful spots we have to offer.
And as I was talking to the woman and the man about my Island home, I realized just how much I take for granted this beautiful place I call home. I forget sometimes about the paradise I live in. The turquoise seas like no other place in the world. The pink sand at Warwick Long Bay that I have not been to see for quite some time. The pastel colours of our homes accented by the colours of the hibiscus flowers and others dotting along the roadways.
I forget sometimes how privileged I am to have sun more days than not. Considering there are people who live under conditions where they don’t see the sun for long periods of time where they are so cold they don’t come outside. Instead they spend their winters either underground getting from building to building or they are in enclosed walkways so they don’t inhale the fresh air or feel it on their faces.
I thought about how we, in Bermuda, don’t realize just how fortunate we are to live in such a beautiful place. To be exposed to so many different cultures of people coming and going on our Island because we get bogged down so much by what’s wrong with our home instead of stepping back and appreciating what we have. Because what I realized more than anything yesterday is that I have so much to be grateful for simply by being blessed to call Bermuda my home.
And when we step away from all the negatives and embrace the positives with gratitude and grace, the veils of the darkness begin to fall away to reveal the light and possibility that always exists on the opposite side of all that is wrong. Opening me up to the creative and opportunistic  side of my brain allowing me to see the possibility in everything and everyone. Paving the way for me to find solutions rather than obstacles.
Sometimes we spend so much time looking for the problems and attaching ourselves to people who affirm our pestilence that we lose out on the gifts and treasures waiting for us every single day. I was so grateful to have been sat next to the man from Virginia and the woman from Minneapolis because they reminded me that I have so much to be grateful for and a whole lot to smile about.

Angels come in many different shapes and forms and in the least expected ways and times as did my angels yesterday – the lady from Minneapolis and the man from Virginia . They, without even knowing it, reminded me to be grateful and open to possibility rather than wallowing in the dark looking for all the closed doors rather than the ones that are open waiting for me to enter. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment