Saturday 8 February 2014

This morning I got the call

This morning I got the call
The call I had been waiting for
Since my Mysty went from this world to the next
Since my husband was thrown into turmoil and despair
When he got news that shook his core
And because he is part of my core
I was shaken as well
So I was waiting
Waiting for life to send me the call
The call that would wake me from my slumber
Wake me from the darkness that was threatening to pull me in
Shroud me
Disguise me
Bury me
And it came this morning
As I was between sleep and awake
Between yesterday's thoughts and experiences to this new day
It came in the call of the cardinal
The red bird's song
Summoning me
Pulling me
Willing me 
To get out of bed
While the day was still young
While the possibility still remained
To allow me to cast aside my fear of walking in nature again
Regardless of what my body looks like
Regardless of my preconceived notions of how I am meant to look right now
To embrace the fact that I woke up this morning
And heard the call 
The song of the redbird
So I got up 
Looked at my face in the mirror
The face of a woman nearly 51
The face of a woman 
Who has endured so much
Weathered so much
Survived so much
Conquered so much
And told her
Told me
To shake of the insecurity
The excuses and get out there
And embrace the life that wants to embrace me
So I put on my walking clothes 
And went back to the mirror 
And saw
The face of a renewed woman 
Who was ready to go
To walk
To hear 
To see 
The sound of the cardinal
The song of the red bird
Singing just for me
As I walked outside
There he was
Majestic
Red
Strong
Proud
Singing his song
Facing me
High up on his perch
The highest point in my yard
The oldest point in my yard 
Right above where my Mysty lies
Where we put her one week to this day
Was the cardinal
On the top of the old dead cedar tree
Singing his song
Wiling me
Coaxing me
Letting me know all is well
As I walked he followed me and found me again
On the wire singing
Willing me 
Coaxing me
To keep putting one step in front of the other
And then he was gone
As I got to the beach
Where the ocean's song took over
Waves crashing and retreating 
On the pink sandy shore
Filling me with joy
As I walked 
I looked out over the horizon
The endless horizon
And breathed in the air
The breath of life
The joy of living
The smell of living
Tears welling in my eyes
As I felt blessed
Grateful
To live in such a beautiful place
Where the ocean is blue
The sand pink
The weather perfect
On this February Saturday morn
The sky clear
Except for a few puffy clouds
People walking
Running
Dogs without their leash
Tears stinging my eyes
As I thought about 
Those suffering with cold weather
Winter storms
Ocean lashing their shores
As our ocean gently rippled
Reflecting the sun
Tears stinging my eyes
As I realized 
Sometimes it takes death
Or news of death
To make us appreciate life
To appreciate each breath we take
To see the beauty all around us
To know we are part of it all
So I sat down on the steps
High above the ocean
And let life fill me
With gratitude and love
Allowing them to flow through me
Until I was full
Then as I made my trek back home
There on a tree
Another dead cedar tree
In the midst of the old railway trail
Appeared my cardinal
Singing just for me
I heard it again
And followed it
The call I was waiting for
The call of the cardinal
The bringer of news from the other world
The coaxer
The spirit bringer
Wiling me
Coaxing me
With his lilting song
The song of the everlasting spirit
That embraces us all
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment