Friday 21 February 2014

My Island welcoming me home at her best

Yesterday could not have been a better day to land in Bermuda. Could not have been a better day to return home. After travelling through dark airports, brown scenery, landing in Bermuda to clear skies, low humidity, and the flat calm turquoise ocean, I could not believe just how blessed and fortunate I am, we are, to live in such a  beautiful place. How fortunate I am to come to such beauty without having to go on a vacation but simply because I am coming home. Wow.
As we drove down the Causeway, windows wide open, fresh air billowing in, my hair whipping around my face, I swear I could hear the voice of angels singing in the background because I truly felt like I was experiencing what utopia must feel like. Snapping out of my state of bliss when the taxi driver asked me if I wanted him to put the windows up after he looked in the mirror and saw my hair being whipped,  I told him absolutely not. I was enjoying the fresh air. The ability to have the windows wide open on a February afternoon felt like nirvana at its best to me.
I felt so free, so happy to have my hair whipping in the breeze. Inhaling the fresh Bermudan air as if it was my first time. Inhaling all the beauty surrounding me. So grateful to be home. So full of life. I took advantage of the opportunity to fill my lungs and my soul with the bountifulness of my Island home.
Thinking to myself how we often take for granted what is right in front of us every single day. Wondering had I been here for the start of this beautiful weather would I have been as appreciative of it as I was when I got off that airplane? Trying to hold onto the feeling I had as I sat back in the seat looking at my beautiful Island as if it was the first time I had ever seen it.
Once I had my visual fill, I closed my eyes and listened. Just listened. To the sound of the tires rolling along the asphalt. And once I got through the ordinary sounds of where I was, to the silence of life passing me by.  Wondering where the birds were as I did not hear them. Opening my eyes as we reached the corner of the old Castle Harbour dormitories and that’s when I heard the first bird – a kiskadee followed by  sparrows. Feeling grateful for their song. I was so full of gratitude that I felt like I was Mary Poppins from the Sound of Music running through the hills,  singing the hills are alive with the Sound of Bermuda. So full of bliss.
Taking in to the colours of the flowers, the green of the tees, the lushness because of the abundance of rain we have had, the light just right and thought regardless of what is happening in our lives, if we could just stop and look with appreciation at the natural beauty that surrounds us every single day we are here in Bermuda, particularly on a day like yesterday, we would have very little complain about. Very little to be upset about. Thinking we should be doing our best to preserve what our Island has to offer rather than doing our best to destroy it. We should be working together to promote our Island rather than trying to find ways to abuse it.
Then later that evening as my daughter and I were driving back home along Harbour Road, the setting sun was casting its red hues throughout the sky, shading clouds with bursts of red, the harbour flat calm opaque almost like glass, I could not help but be even more grateful for where I live. The place I call home.  Joy. Pure joy to be back home. Grateful for feeling like my Island was showing me her best so I could be my best. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment