Monday 11 November 2013

In Reverence to Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day. The day when many reflect on those lost in the war. 11.11. Binary number which represents the base. And a prime number divisible by nothing but itself.
I have decided to not only reflect on those lost in the war but to reflect on all those who have walked before me and opened the door for me to be where I am today. Those who have carried the burden of race, injustice, inequality and chose to make the way better for each generation that follows. Allowing us presently on this earth to have an easier time than the generation before. It is with gratitude that I think of my ancestors, fore bearers and original inhabitants of this earth who had the foresight to do what they did in order for us to be as we are today.
I think of my mother and all that she sacrificed so that I can be the woman I am today. Even though her life was shorter than mine, she did all she could to enable me to have the tools I have today.
I recently heard on the BBC that the first two years of a child’s life determine whether he or she will be an optimist or pessimist. And it all depends on the nurturing our children receive during those first two years as to whether they will view the world from an optimistic perspective or pessimistic perspective. And I believe those words to be true particularly since I managed to come through a very dark period in my life and recognize it now as a gift from the Universe to give me wings to fly. That ability to turn a negative into a positive had to have come from somewhere and I always pondered where. The explanation about the nurturing and love of a mother in the first two years of a child’s life is so important to me. It literally shapes our futures. So I am grateful to my mother for having given me two years of love when my life first began.
And now I understand why it was so important for me to spend the early years of my children’s lives with them because there was something imprinted on my brain about the need to nurture and love them for their first few years. I obviously carried that love with me subconsciously and wanted to pass that gift on to my children to help them build a foundation of love, trust and security. Giving them the ability to go out into the world as giving citizens.
Today is Remembrance Day – a day to remember those who we have lost. Those who we have loved. Those who died for us. Those that will remain in our hearts and souls forever because we are a part of them as they are a part of us.
Remembrance day is a virtuous and holy day, however you may interpret that phrase, to allow us to remember we are all here in passing and it is up to us to truly live and to leave behind a legacy we can be proud of. To help and share rather than to destroy and destruct. Life goes on infinitely through the rebirth of nature every single day. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. From the womb of Mother Earth we come and through her body we will go.

In reverence to Remembrance Day with gratitude and love. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment